Some of your "other" hobbies?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
xlr8

Some of your "other" hobbies?

Post by xlr8 »

The reason I ask is most folks here seem to be pretty sharp :lol: and I know collecting knives cannot be the only hobby some of you have. So I thought I'd ask about some of the others and share some of mine.

Anyone into boating? I recently acquired a 1996 Mariah Talari z201, so this is a new hobby for me. I had never driven an aquatic vessel with a big V8 engine in it until recently. I launch at Lake Lanier about 40 miles north of Atlanta. Having a blast so far!

How 'bout dirtbiking? Before any of you think you're too old, or that an old man has no business participating in this sport, you need to take a look at some of the riders at some of the spots we frequent. I've met guys who have been riding since the knobbie tire was invented!

I have a soft spot for vintage hifi, particularly vacuum tube equipment (or valves for all you EU guys). I have 2 Dynaco st-70's, one of which is on my bench awaiting parts for a rebuild. This will be my first attempt at a project like this. My wife and I have built a prototype of a unique loudspeaker system. Here's a little taste...
DSC03801.JPG
DSC03801.JPG (151.59 KiB) Viewed 9731 times
So what else do you guys do??!!??
Attachments
DSC03802.JPG
DSC03802.JPG (153.72 KiB) Viewed 9734 times
Oh God, that knife has a spring in it!! Everybody RUN!!!!!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Re: Some of your "other" hobbies?

Post by tr4252 »

I've never seen speakers like those. Are the enclosures tuned in some arcane way, or they free air suspended? I'd like to know more; they look a little like the P.A. units we used to use in the 60's, but on steroids.

My hobbies include;
Designing knives
Making knives
Building machines to make better knives
Making jigs and fixtures for, you guessed it
Buying strange materials to make knives from

I also
Play guitar, write and record a little music from time to time
Work on my 84 year old house
"House plants"
Do a little drawing or painting now and then
I like women a lot
Collect old plastic model kits, but have no desire to build any
Read pulp fiction, especially John D. MacDonald
Build the odd piece of furniture from time to time (below)

Sometimes I make knives, as well.

Tom
Attachments
studio-jpeg.jpg
studio-jpeg.jpg (257.57 KiB) Viewed 9715 times
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
lars

Post by lars »

Music listening - Jazz, rock, blues and classical.
I´m also an audiophile, always trying to find the "natural" sound :wink: by spending too much money on eqipment.
and I keep and breed lizards (Scelophorus malachitus), so I might call myself some sort of herpetologist too :)
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

I've never seen speakers like those. Are the enclosures tuned in some arcane way, or they free air suspended? I'd like to know more; they look a little like the P.A. units we used to use in the 60's, but on steroids.
They are free air (or dipole radiating) and depend on the distances from the front and side walls to radiate effectively. With all of those drivers mounted to the panel, you are basically creating one very large driver. The bass enclosures that the panels are sitting on are compound/pushpull and each box actually contains 4-7" drivers. The system is driven by 3 seperate stereo amplifiers.

The "Line Array", which is basically what this is, is becoming more and more popular in PA applications. One of the reasons is that their response will extend into the farfield. If I open the double doors to my back porch, the stereo "image" becomes clearer as you go out to the backyard. Perfect for parties. :D The sound these produce is not loud and unruly at all. It is actually very smooth and detailed. They are sensitive enough to be driven with as little as 8 watts, yet can handle close to 1000. For movies, you don't need the center channel. These create a cylindrical wavefront that renders a center channel useless. 8) What else would you like to know?

Lars,

These were not terribly expensive to build (around $1200 US) and sound much better than most offerings I've seen that cost thousands of dollars...No kidding. I'm sure you've never heard an amalgomation of cheap equipment sound so good. I'm going to finish these with mahogany veneer, add both tube amps and I'm done...They sound that good. I did use Vifa drivers and a Magnepan 60" true ribbon tweeter though...
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I've actually made thousands of dollars with this stuff selling my collection over time.
The first one is signed by George Lucas as well as the stars pictured + COA
An extra storage shed holds most of my figures, this is a small portion. Mint condition I never open them and they're stored or encased in plastic or acryllic etc.. all these are just the stormtrooper / clone troopers. a very small part of my collection.

ImageImage
Leverlock switchblades
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Music , salt water fishing , home brewing , attending craft beer events and brewery tours. love to cook , love to eat.
Last edited by j.a.c. on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

my other hobbies, i study and reenact (spelling) the rocky mountain fur trade, fishing,hunting, just bought an atv,ham radio,reading hermetic phylosophy, and belong to the central mass search and resuce team.

tryker
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

ham radio
I know some guys that jibber jabber in the 75 meter band. Where are you?
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

I like my Ak-47's
And My motorcycle. there is a group here in Virginia I ride with. We usually log 4-500 miles a week on a charity ride, or a crazy dinner ride. We'll go to W.Va. for a pizza, Maryland for a crabcake sandwich, or N.C. for a bbq lunch.

I used to be a commercial chef at a 400 seat banquet house. I love cooking and our dinner runs usually end up at the oddball mom and pop places.

When I'm not doing that, I like to make my custom knives.
redeye

Post by redeye »

Well yall have all seen pics of SPOT my pet LEOPARD TORTOISE so i am also a part time herpetologist and i also ride a Harley Davidson Sportster. i collect all things Simpson too. i have a go-zillion pieces of Simpsons stuff. heres a couple pics of one of the closets that are stuffed full with this collection and i have a ton of CHEECH AND CHONG figures and every thing they ever recorded on vinyl. also a purty good pile of Zippo lighters from as far back as the 40s.way to much stuff and i am gonna be downsizing a bunch real soon.

I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

.I like my Ak-47's
That pic and the look on your face says it all. You look like just the guy to fill the empty spot in our hunting club! :)
eastcoastsniper

xlr8 wrote:
.I like my Ak-47's
That pic and the look on your face says it all. You look like just the guy to fill the empty spot in our hunting club! :)

WILL WORK FOR AMMO
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I like to pee in the shower. :mrgreen:
eastcoastsniper

whippersnapper wrote:I like to pee in the shower. :mrgreen:
That's a low budget hobby :wink:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Nice guns and Simpsons collection Roger. 8)
Leverlock switchblades