AK-47 U.S. equivalent?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Re: AK-47 U.S. equivalent?

Post by Viking45 »

Vagrant wrote:That is interesting. Here they have a reputation [unmodified] for nearly AK reliability but "thrown rock" accuracy. [According to any owners I've talked with] :idea:
They resist snow, mud, sand, dirt, and foul weather, much better than the AR.
I had a Mini 14 with a Butler Creek folding stock and a straight 4X Leopold that fired flawlessly and never jammed even with crappy surplus ammo.(not supposed to use it) :shock:
Not to get into a major discussion here because to each his own opinion,but I would take a Mini 14 over most of the AR's I have fired.
I shot my Mini in 17 below zero with a thin layer of ice over the entire rifle and it did not miss a beat.

One of Ruger's many great arms in my opinion.(I always hated the Saftey crap stamped on the pistols though :evil: )Completely unnecessary.
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

i've had 2 mini-14s 4 ar-17s amd 7 ak47s if the shtf i'l grab my ak! but the mini-14 i've owned were more realiable than the ar's!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

sammy da blade wrote:i've had 2 mini-14s 4 ar-17s amd 7 ak47s if the shtf i'l grab my ak! but the mini-14 i've owned were more realiable than the ar's!
I think I got that.
Bottom line is that a Ruger Mini 14 is a reliable unit and I would rely on it when the s**t hits the fan.
There is always better but then again the Winchester Mod 74 is the original assault rifle. :lol: and I see no flaw to date. :shock:
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Hey, just saw the mini 14 talk here. Over the years I have had 2 AR 15s, 6 mini 14s, 5 ak-47s and 3 SKS. The Ar 15s where by far the most arrucate and I never had a functioning issue. The AKs and SKS were nice to shoot but not accurate and not easy to control during rapid semi auto fire, The minis functioned well, never a jam, but were only on target for about six shots, then the barrel got hot and you had shots going everywhere! Happened on all 6 of them! The NYPD uses the mini 14s on their Emerency Service trucks ( or did in my day), and every guy there had the same opinion of them...
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

The action on a mini is it's best feature.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

sammy da blade wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:32 am i've had 2 mini-14s 4 ar-15s amd 7 ak47s if the shtf i'll grab my ak! but the mini-14 i've owned were more realiable than the ar's!
2024 candidate for president
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

edit : . . . . . .Oh wow. . . . . first posted July 2009 . . . . . . .
I'm at the tail end of a dead conversation. . . .
I typed first before reading. . . . .

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Such appallingly bad answers,
this answer applies to "the machine" and NOT the caliber or barrel length or stock type or performance.

the M16 platform has an in-stock buffer spring, and long gas tube. . . it is NOT like an AK.
the M14 platform has short gas tube like an AK, but the gas system is under the barrel. and it's open receiver.

Century Arms Golani is a civilian legal Galil . . . American made from Israeli parts . . . .AK platform

The Valmet is going to be the closest to a western made AK type machine
they are made both in Finland and the USA (parts assembled)

Armalite made an AR-18 select fire / AR-180 semi-auto, that is closer to an AK, but not quite . . .
and it's "out of production" . . . . .some people think it looks "too different" . . but the machine is the same.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

and I have a Springfield M1A, a Colt AR15 and a couple of M1 carbines, Have fired or at least held about every firearm I can think of.
My Nephew has a Mini 14, and an AR pistol.
Bench shooting the M1A, I am fair. . . But shoulder firing an M1 carbine , , ,50 years of practice, I might be losing my touch.
But with a carbine, I could hit beer can targets shoulder fired snap shots all day in my prime. Hit spent shotgun shells if I took my time.
I think it's what you get accustomed to.