AK-47 U.S. equivalent?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
xlr8

Re: AK-47 U.S. equivalent?

Post by xlr8 »

I know this is getting out there, and I'm sorry, but Mr. hogwild? That scatter gun on the bottom reminds me of a Viet Nam era Ithica 12ga I saw recently...
Oh God, that knife has a spring in it!! Everybody RUN!!!!!
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

The pump is a Winchester M12, 12ga, 20", top is Browning A5, 12ga, 20". Both were beaters that I picked up cheap and shortened to make into street-sweepers. I have several M12 pumps that I cherish- my all-time favorite shotgun. Pumps slicker than snail snot.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I miss my Mossberg 590(bayonet lug) I had to sell it a few years back to keep my head above water. It had two slots in the butt that held 4 total and with one up the pipe another 8 so wherever the gun was it could have 12 rnds at all times.
Of course I never kept one in the chamber nor would I keep the tube full.
That thing never failed in the years I owned it. Like to have a Winchester M12 like that.
Hard to beat a 12 guage for burg-u-lars and otherwise undesirables 8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I do NOT reccomend the pratice as it is rough on the gun but, the model 12 [at least most I've seen] can be "fast fired" by holding the trigger back and "pumping" the slide :wink:
The tube magazine can be emptied VERY fast when operated this way 8)
This method also works on the old Winchester pumps and old Rossi copies of the Winchester :idea:
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

My model 61 slam fires. Only tried it once as I don't want to even try getting parts for it. The beater M12 has been slam fired a few times; I'm sure it wouldn't like it too much.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

do NOT reccomend the pratice as it is rough on the gun but, the model 12 [at least most I've seen] can be "fast fired" by holding the trigger back and "pumping" the slide
The Ithica I mentioned will do this too. It'll slap you around like a pissed off old lady if your not careful! 8)
Oh God, that knife has a spring in it!! Everybody RUN!!!!!
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Doofus Emeritus-

Eye'd have to agree with you that the superior rifle is the M-14, or M1A-1 for utlimate accuracy, and long range effectiveness. However, in response to the origin of this thread, I must almost practically certainly might say that I prefer mine Norinco AKM over mine Colt SP-1 AR-15 if'n I had to choose in time of dire need. Our AK's are certainly more robust for field abuse and neglect, such AS one may experience during the hysteria of the food riots of 2011. My happy lil' under folder stock AK is also stylishly concealable beneath my Jesuit friar robage, should I need to dispute a stamp overcharghing at the Post Orfice. I have, with your expert scientific ASsistance AS lab technician, witnessed the down range end product of both the 7.62x39 and the 5.56, and I believe our findings concurred with the AK round AS being more lethal to stationary shrubbery and geolocical formations, AS tested at the foot of Mount Zoomie. If'n the her was ASsigned to carry a back-up weapon, I'd allow the AR-15, AS she has displayed her ability to double tap a paper silohouette of a running ASian diplomat at a hunnert yards. Yep, ye' kinna' best the AK for human hunting at an affordable cost, ease of operation, and almost idiot proof skill level required.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Where can an individual get a Kim Jong-il paper target?
Can one purchase a few dozen Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as well?
Did I spell that correctly?

My trigger finger tends to miss it's mark when typing
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Viking45 wrote:Where can an individual get a Kim Jong-il paper target?
Can one purchase a few dozen Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as well?
Did I spell that correctly?

My trigger finger tends to miss it's mark when typing
I thought a quick search would show lots of choices BUT, the closest I came was Osama :( [the real one, NOT his camp follower, occupying OUR Whitehouse] :wink:
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Viking45-

A simple field expedient paper silohuotte target can be easily made by enlisting the aid of the local loose moral fat chick. Just prior to her expelling yesterday's lunch via the aft portal, merely supply said herself with a sheet of suitable paper and direct her to make an sphinctal imprint of any of your favorite despots upon it, and if'n your timing is right, a semi-monthly accent color of vermillion may be just the accent to the brownish elected official's likeness. Good luck, and let us know how it plays out...

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Wally J. Corpse wrote: A simple field expedient paper silohuotte target can be easily made by enlisting the aid of the local loose moral fat chick. Just prior to her expelling yesterday's lunch via the aft portal, merely supply said herself with a sheet of suitable paper and direct her to make an sphinctal imprint of any of your favorite despots upon it, and if'n your timing is right, a semi-monthly accent color of vermillion may be just the accent to the brownish elected official's likeness. Good luck, and let us know how it plays out...

Mr. Corpse,

Thank you dear sir for that vividly detailed post. I never knew any moral fat chicks. I did however, know lots of immoral ones. They were always good for sneaking in a case of Coors at the picture show and always available if the cute chicks were taken.

Fun, yet disposable...

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Hadson

Post by Hadson »

catavengercaptain wrote:Let's see what might be a U.S.A. AK47 equivalent. How about a Ruger Mini 14 it's fairly cheap , robust and reliable.
Not very cheap any more, their near enough AR money I believe. In comparison to most quality assault rifles the Mini-14 fairs poorly, I certainly wouldn't touch one over an AR, let alone AUGs or other such designs. The AC-556 always interested me, but I've never heard anything positive about them, and they were used in Ulster which makes me wonder why the lack of info over here.

The Mini is even crap for reliability with the gas parts pulled out to comply with our laws.
It's the cheapest and crappiest "former" SLR available here; at least the prices are realistic, although everyone still buys AR15s or occasionally AUGs.

Some of the modern Russian AKs are shockingly accurate. I was very surprised at the results people got once they ditched factory ammo for tailored handloads. Their getting much better as time progresses.

We had our M14 equivalent in service far longer than the U.S; a modified variant of the FAL limited to single-shot, and the major view derived from it was the newer SA80A2 has proved more effective. The FAL was beyond many people to use effectively due to recoil, and by most accounts none too accurate in the first place, as opposed to the A2 which is one of the most accurate assault rifles ever built.

Unfortunately the A2 weighs more than the FAL, and doesn't handle well at all IMO. They are quite complicated too. Plus points are excellent reliability, best accuracy available and very compact. I'd take an AUG over it any day, a properly improved one is just as effective (The SA80A2 is effectively a tuned weapon with after market German parts).

I think 7.62 is a better calibre, but something much more up-to-date in the way of a weapons system would be needed, and ammunition, not to mention more effective training in accurate use.
Best regards, Hadson.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Hadson wrote: The Mini is even crap for reliability with the gas parts pulled out to comply with our laws.
I just got back from vacation, about 1,600 miles, some of it with cruise control set at [an unapproved] 105 mph :wink:
The Forester ran fine and averaged over 25 mpg 8)
But IF, I had removed some parts, that perfomance might have suffered :wink:
The same is true of firearms :idea:
Hadson

Post by Hadson »

Vagrant wrote: But IF, I had removed some parts, that perfomance might have suffered :wink:
The same is true of firearms :idea:
In the 80's when self-loaders were still legal they were also popular being cheap at the time; still junk by all accounts.
Removing the gas parts certainly isn't likely to be the issue, they are after all factory jobs done specifically at Bill Rugers request for this market. ARs, AKs, SA80s, AUGs, M14s, MP5s, FALs, M1 Carbines and several others function normally without them here.
Best regards, Hadson.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

That is interesting. Here they have a reputation [unmodified] for nearly AK reliability but "thrown rock" accuracy. [According to any owners I've talked with] :idea:
They resist snow, mud, sand, dirt, and foul weather, much better than the AR.