AK-47 U.S. equivalent?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
grj65

AK-47 U.S. equivalent?

Post by grj65 »

Without opening a can of worms, isn't there an American equivalent of the AK-47?
(asking because of that car dealer offer in Butler Missouri, Max Motors)
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: AK-47 U.S. equivalent?

Post by natcherly »

The M16. Rather more sophisticated and accurate than the Soviet assault rifle, however, the AK is far more numerous.
reggieh

Post by reggieh »

I agree with natcherly the m16 or ar15(armalite model 15) was invented by eugene stoner.It is more accurate than the ak47(automatic kalasnakov model 1947) but it is not as reliable.The m16 shoots a 5.56 round and the ak47 shoots a 7.62 round.The ak47 can be found in almost any place in the world including america.This means that most parts from any country can fit on a gun from almost any country and ammo for it can be found any where in the world.It will fire and not jam filled with mud.Imho the american equivalent to a ak47 is a american made ak 47.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I have owned three Colt Ar-15s, and six various Ak-47s. The Colts are refined, accuarte, well made guns. The Aks feel cheap and are no where near as accurate. I have read that the 223 round was intended to cause a bad wound as compared to a one shot kill, with the desired effect of taking out additional personal to care for the wounded? they were also first issued as a light survial rifle for pilots. True or not who knows. In the 1980s I read a off the wall gun Magazine that tested the terminal ballistics on a bunch of pigs headed in for slaughter. Their findings were the 223 caused a more serious wound at close range. Todays AR 15s are far more reliable than those of years gone by, but the Aks do have a rep for taking abuse ( only second to the UZI). I don't know of any USA made Aks. The best AKs I had owned were first the Russian, and second the Bulgrian. The China one I had was the worst for fit and finish, but they all functioned well.....
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

I saw that about the car dealer I am sure he is giving away the AKs because they are alot cheaper than anything made in the USA
grj65

Post by grj65 »

catavengercaptain wrote:I saw that about the car dealer I am sure he is giving away the AKs because they are alot cheaper than anything made in the USA
That's what I was thinking.... :)

BTW, great info on all the other hardware, thanks all :D
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

looking at it from another point of view I would say the 1911 Colt Pistol
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Interesting point.

Going back some more, how about an 1903 Springfield equipped with a Pedersen device? Not full auto, but it could have been....
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The AK is much more reliable and much less subject to adverse conditions :idea:
The AK is a much simpler design.
The AK is almost "idiot proof".
It is far more powerful :idea:
The 15/16 is far more accurate.
It is a great target/varmint gun.
It has NO business in combat, it is NOT "enough gun" :idea: :!:
The "it's better to wound" theory misses one reality - if a wounded opponent KILLS you with a REAL gun, while waiting for a medic, it may [eventually] hurt their efforts but it does you NO good.
NO military "bean couter" gives a darn about YOU being dead if 3 or 4 opposing forces are [temporarily] incovenienced :roll: l
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Most/all [currently imported] AKs must have a certsin percentage of US made parts :idea:
Sooner or later someone may be bright enough to make the whole gun here :wink:
Do not expect that until we divest ourselves of "hope and change" :lol:
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

grj65 wrote:Without opening a can of worms, isn't there an American equivalent of the AK-47?
(asking because of that car dealer offer in Butler Missouri, Max Motors)
Dear Sir,

The very best fighting weapon by American design was the M-14. Hands down. Just ask any Vietnam Vet who had to trade in his M-14 for the untested M-16 plastic POS and I'm sure you will get a vivid response.

Mr. Vagrant,

I'm with you on the AK, but my SKS is far more accurate past 100 yds, or a 12 pack...

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My AK is better than my SKS BUT, my AK is a Finnish made Valmet, with a forged and milled receiver :idea: [The Rolls Royce of AKs] 8)
The last time I saw one on Gun Broker it was at $2300 and "reserve not met yet" :!:
With the current party in power I expect that to double [at least] :lol:
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Vagrant,

Even the cheap Norinco models are kick-ass. I still have the MAK-90 which flattens dense forest just as good as Wally's whatever-it-is AK. The Ruger Mini-30 in 7.62x39 is a really fun weapon. The big problem is the friggen clips. I cannot find anything over 5 rds thats not aftermarket. Jam jam jam. I've talked to all kinds of experts, just a bad clip to receiver design. Just got a case of 7.62 a few weeks ago. Can't decide if I want to shoot it, or re-invest it...

Best regards,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Depending on WHAT you shoot - it could be a re-investment in freedom 8)
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus

Post by Bonzo »

Vagrant wrote:Depending on WHAT you shoot - it could be a re-investment in freedom 8)
Mr. Vagrant,

I still have some good German stuff I acquired years ago. I'm saving it for a rainy day.

Best regards,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson