This is really weird.......

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Queso

This is really weird.......

Post by Queso »

I just got a brand new 9in bayo blade with brass bolsters and synthetic wood scales. Awesome blade, but for some reason, it won't lock open when I open it with my right hand. The weird part is, it functions perfectly when I hold it in my left. :shock: Does anybody know why?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

This is probably the infamous "limp wrist" effect. Try holding it tighter, or changing your grip a little. To verify it's grip related try a two hand hold,or try resting the handle [right behind the bolsters] against a solid object such as the edge of a table. The fact that it works correct-handed but not right-handed tells you the knife is probably o.k. and the problem is grip related.
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

it odd how sensitive stilettos are to how theyre held. i can hold my stiletto with 2 fingers and snap it open without a problem, but if you hand it to someone else.. they seem to fail at opening it.
Taking typos to new levels.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I have a a cheap chinese leverlock that requires you to push down hard and fast on the lever to get it to open. Push easy and the blade hangs. Strange some of these knives are so touchy on firing.
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

i guess the spring doesnt have an opportunity to snap quickly enough if you release it slow.. it probably catches a bit.

vini
Queso

Post by Queso »

Limp wrist? :? I hope that's just a figure of speech.

Nah, I figured out what it was. If I try to hold it with just two or three fingers, it doesn't lock. But if I grip it tight and hold it with my palm, it locks perfectly every time. It just needs to be broken in better.
THE CHEESE STANDS ALONE
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Queso,

Vagrant makes agood point about insuring that not too much of the kinetic energy present during the opening of the knife is dissipated into the "limp wrist". I have seen this situation also, and have a few knives with marginal kicksprings where how the knife is held will determine whether or or it will lock when opened.

Bonz - any thoughts regarding the "limp wrist" effect??

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I've had Hubies that would do this but, it's not "politically correct" to EVER
say anything negative about a Hubie. [I love 'em but they ain't always perfect].
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

i find that regardless of position, if you hold the knife firmly it just about always opens. the worst position is holding the blade facing so it exits the handle downwards.

vini
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Vagrant wrote:I've had Hubies that would do this but, it's not "politically correct" to EVER
say anything negative about a Hubie. [I love 'em but they ain't always perfect].
I ordered one of the llcm micartas from the knife shop that was defective. The push tab wouldn't stay up against the bolster "floppy tab syndrome" . I also ordered a camper at the same time that also had the problem. The camper responded to wd 40 and pushing the tab down till the catch pin finally went deep enough to let the spring push the tab in place.

The micarta one I gave up on and sent back. The replacement they sent me worked first try, but then started doing the same thing. Was going to send it back but they said they would just give me some credit on my next order, so I sent it off to someone here to fix. Not back yet, but hopefully I'll have a functioning one soon.

I was at a knife show and handled several ones like my defective one and a significant number had the same problem. Don't know if it is something to do with the micarta or what. Not so much problem with the stag and rosewood ones I have.

I do love the Hubertus though.Functional and beautiful.
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Jim D,

I think the 'limp wrist effect' was a technique perfected in San Francisco. I hear Mr. Vini is now perfecting the technique in NYC. Funny how that stuff spreads around.

Best Regards,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bonz,

I beleive that those in San Fran who were perfecting the limp wrist technique had some assistance from Key West residents.

Jim
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Hollowdweller,

I have a white micarta 11cm Hubie and it is perfect. However, I got it from Vagrant so it had been tested before I received it. They are nice knives when they work, aren't they?

Jim
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Jim D,

Isn't strange how the queers will infiltrate a nice area and then spoil it by pushing thier demented agenda on normal people. SF was a really nice place until the queers staked claim to it. Now, the new big thing is the lesbo carpet munchers are selling thier property for big bucks in SF and are migrating here to Zoomieland! I have nothing personal against someone's disgusting sexual preference, but let them keep it to themselves. The reason they haven't found a cure for aids yet is because they can't find two labratory rats that will screw each other in the ass!

Best Regards,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Mr. Bonzo,
I don't care what they do, I beleive everyone in their private life can have their sexual prefence just like you said bonzo. But I personally think Aids is a germ warfare virus gone wrong, they probably tested it on chimps, then it spread to people and it's spread by sexual contact mainly by a man sticking his dick in another guys ass. So they haven't found a cure because to lab mice aren't going to screw eachotther in the ass. Like ya said.