WOW

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Spotlight I think yours is an English thing. Rube Golbergs wierdness always served a purpose even if at the end of all that it poured you a glass of beer. Go down to the pub and ask they'll tell you. Why I bet they say lad it's only known and said here. 8)
PB
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Image Mr.P.B. I was just saying that the concept for impractical inventions was invented by William Heath Robinson years before Rube Golberg! Image Otherwords,the English did it first! :lol: I have re posted another example of his inventions on my previous post!They don't come more eccentric than us! We invented the word.:lol: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND!
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

SLK,

Rube began his "work" in the US in the late 1920's / early 1930's. The illustration of Robinson's "bomb catcher" is clealy of later vintage, 1940-ish I'd say by the look of the aircraft, the configuration of the bombs, and the situation for which he was seeking a remedy. Any earlier work of Robinson's than this? If not, Rube wins.

Engaged in deep historical research,
Greyblade
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

One difference, Rubes devices always followed a [somewhat] logical "train of events" that could be followed from beginning to end. Robinsons seemed to try and do everything at once. Also Rubes devices were designed to do one very simple, everyday task that most people did themselves on a daily basis such as; make coffee, make toast, iron a shirt, open a letter etc. A large number seemed related to getting up in the morning.
the spotlight kid

Image Image A lot of Robinsons inventions follow that same logical "train of events" also he was doing the everyday tasks such as making a cup of tea or other household chores.The 2 more pics I have added are just to prove to Greyblade that he was doing these cartoons during and previous to the 1st.World War.I will try and find some of his everyday type inventions and post them later. :wink: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

This is from the 1910-1919 period.

Continued from page 1
html:
Goldberg began including inventions in his strips, often attributing them to Professor Lucifer Gorgonzola Butts, a sort of screwball anagram of his own full name. The inventions, which were presented in cartoon diagram form, involved not only sundry mechanical devices, especially pulleys, but ingredients that were not always readily available to more conventional inventors. These included a hungry goat, a dancing Eskimo, a miniature elephant, waltzing mice, a college boy, a penguin, an electric eel, Miss Las Vegas, and a palooka hound, plus numerous bowling balls, pistols, midgets, fish, and umbrellas. The components of each mechanism were labeled with letters of the alphabet so that a reader could construct his own intricate machine to perform such simple tasks as opening a can, uncorking a bottle, or slicing bread. The typical description accompanying a Goldberg invention is exemplified by that for a device designed to wash dishes while one is out. It begins, "When spoiled tomcat (A) discovers he is alone he lets out a yell which scares mouse (B) into jumping into basket (C), causing lever end (D) to rise and pull string (E)," etc. Goldberg sometimes admitted that an invention might not function perfectly and so he offered alternatives. The dishwashing instructions concluded with, "If the cat and turtle get on to your scheme and refuse to cooperate, simply put the dishes on the front porch and pray for rain."
the spotlight kid

Mr.Vagrant,I have since found several references whilst researching Robinson where they state that Golberg was more a contemporary of his just opposite sides of the pond.The Golberg cartoons I had seen previously were not as old as Robinsons early stuff.There is no doubt though that they were both out there in their inventing! :lol: Image :wink: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Anyone who is "out there" is o.k. in my book.
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

[quote="the spotlight kid]The 2 more pics I have added are just to prove to Greyblade that he was doing these cartoons during and previous to the 1st.World War.[/quote]

SLK,

I think Das Vagrant has the issue of contemporaneous production by Robinson and Rube Goldberg knocked. While the Robinson pictures that you posted would indicate applications of inventions to WW1 situations, I'll bet they were produced after WW1 and before WW2. But, like so many things in life, I really don't think that it matters all that much. I enjoyed the cleverness.

Greyblade
the spotlight kid

Mr.Greyblade,you just LOST your bet! :roll: If you read the attatched link you will have your proof!I agree,it doesn't matter one bit,but W H Robinson deserves recognition whenever eccentric inventor cartoonists are mentioned! Remind me,what was the bet for! :lol: http://www.bpib.com/illustrat/whrobin.htm I'll settle for a pint down my local next time you are in the area! :wink: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

SLK,

Next time I'm in Canterbury, your on! I'll leave the choice of the poison to you. However, the way the bet was set up, if you won, you were to be gracious enough to stand the loser (me) to a round at your local. Yep - that's the way that I remember it. :wink:

Greyblade
the spotlight kid

Mr.Greyblade,I am No welcher!If you can make it here,I will get you a swift pint or two,I can even get you a latey!I have just got in after playing our Wednesday night game of Beer Lines!All you have to do is drink whatever is poured before you as they clean out the lines!The Knack is not drinking any line cleanser with your beer!It's a good game,normally finishes at 4.30a.m.We had an early one to night!3.05 a.m. and struggling along!!!Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)I am nearly pissed! ish! :roll: There you go,the spotlight kid. 8)
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Pushbutton wrote:Mr Bigg
I think everything is way before your time. :lol:
PB
dang it ya beat me to it...

I was gonna say 'there's a rube born every minute' but oh well. I just did anyway.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Maybe we should meet in a neutral country [France?] and have the locals buy us all the drinks we want, if they refuse mumble a few words in German and drinks will be on the house until hell freezes over.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

the spotlight kid wrote:Mr.Greyblade,I am No welcher!If you can make it here,I will get you a swift pint or two,I can even get you a latey!I have just got in after playing our Wednesday night game of Beer Lines!All you have to do is drink whatever is poured before you as they clean out the lines!The Knack is not drinking any line cleanser with your beer!It's a good game,normally finishes at 4.30a.m.We had an early one to night!3.05 a.m. and struggling along!!!Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)I am nearly pissed! ish! :roll: There you go,the spotlight kid. 8)
how's the head the next day after being official line drainer :lol: