bar codes on drivers licsenes

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TRYKER

bar codes on drivers licsenes

Post by TRYKER »

here's some interesting info i saw on another forum i go to. check it out.

tryker

ABOUT the 2D BARCODE AND YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE

Frequently Asked Questions:
Why the 2D barcode?
What information is encoded on my driver's license?
Who is using the 2D barcode?
Is this legal?
What will future drivers' licenses look like?

Why the 2D barcode?

2D barcode technology is currently the most popular method for state DMVs (Department of Motor Vehicles) to store personal information on a driver's license. Other technologies used are magnetic stripes and 1D barcodes. Some states are considering using smart card technology or a computer chip.

The 2D barcode stores data along two dimensions and is therefore capable of containing much more information than the 1D barcode (seen on many food products) or the magnetic stripe (seen on credit cards and some drivers' licenses). Specifically 2D barcodes can hold about 2,000 bytes of data, or enough to encode some text and a compressed image file. Currently 39 states include a 2D barcode on the backside of state-issued drivers' licenses.

What information is encoded on my driver's license?

We don't exactly know since there are over 200 state-issued drivers' licenses currently in circulation and not a lot of available documentation. It is a state-by-state decision what information (if any) to electronically store on drivers' licenses and state standards change frequently. As the SWIPE barcode decoder is used, we will keep track of what types of information each state stores in its 2D barcodes and make this research available to you.

What we do know is that most states include all the information printed on the front of a driver's license in a 2D barcode. This includes the driver's name, address, date of birth, physical attributes, medical impairments and donor information. Also states may include a compressed image file of the driver's photo and signature. Sometimes states will included additional information that is not printed on the license in the barcode like a Social Security number, face recognition template or digital fingerprint.

Who is using the 2D barcode?

The police for one. When you are pulled over for speeding on the interstate, for instance, a state trooper will ask for your driver's license and electronically grab the data from your license. Businesses are also using driver's license scanning equipment. The first businesses to start swiping license data were bars and convenience stores. They are doing this in the name of age verification and fraud detection. Businesses many times do not ask for consent from their customers--or even bother to notify them--before swiping a card. In most states it is legal for businesses to scan licenses and save the data to a customer database for future analysis and use. Other places installing license scanning equipment are airports, hospitals, and federal buildings.

More Information: Welcome to the Database Lounge

Is this Legal?

Driver's license swiping is a relatively new phenomenon and has yet to be challenged in court.

There is, however, a privacy law called the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994 (DPPA) that could potentially be used to contest driver's license swiping. Congress passed DPPA in 1994 after the murder of actress Rebecca Shaeffer. Her assailant had gotten her address from the California Department of Motor Vehicles. The public was outraged over the fact that state DMVs were not only releasing their database information (driver's license records), but also making major profits by selling this information. New York, for example, earned $17 million in one year selling drivers' records, according to the U.S. Justice Department.

DPPA put an end to this, well almost. DPPA requires that all states protect the privacy of personal information contained in an individual's motor vehicle record, but this privacy act (like most privacy acts) is extremely weakened by a number of exceptions. And here are some of the exceptions: an individual's driver's license information may be obtained from the department of motor vehicles for legitimate government agency functions, for Motor vehicle market research and surveys, for use by licensed private investigators, and for legitimate business needs in transactions initiated by the individual to verify accuracy of personal information.

Businesses who swipe will most likely will say they are protected by this last clause: that swiping is a legitimate business need to verify age and validate a driver's license. But is creating a database from the swiped information for future use and profit a necessity to verify the accuracy of personal information?

More Information: Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994

What will future drivers' licenses look like?

Since 1991 The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) has been pushing the federal government to standardize state driver's licenses. This plan includes a comprehensive system for data encoding and a centralized database for personal information.

In May 2002, Reps. Jim Moran, D-Va., and Tom Davis, R-Va. introduced a new bill called Driver's License Modernization Act of 2002 (HR 4633) that endorses the AAMVA approach.

The Driver's License Modernization Act of 2002 Overview:

•States have up to five years to switch to "smart card" drivers' licenses that hold much more data than magnetic stripes or 2D barcodes
•Your driver's license would include a biometric identifier such as a digital fingerprint or eye scan and would be readable by an electronic scanner
•States must maintain interconnected databases containing information on license holders

Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge has expressed sincere interest in this Bill.

More Information: Status of the Driver's License Modernization Act of 2002
jarvis

Re: bar codes on drivers licsenes

Post by jarvis »

The recommended 2D code in state-issued driver's licenses is far from secure and is yet another technology that can be hacked and duplicated.

http://www.secureidnews.com/news/2007/0 ... nt-secure/

There are a number of methods of finding out what's stored on your license's 2D barcode. Here's one:

http://turbulence.org/Works/swipe/barcode.html
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

frig'em i scratched mine ta sh*t

tryker
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The government can cross-reference soooo many things that they can tell you stuff about yourself that you forgot :x
Good thing they don't know everything :lol:
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

I think Mr Orwell might have been off by about 24 Yr's
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Cryptomecanic wrote:I think Mr Orwell might have been off by about 24 Yr's
HE probably got it right, WE just took a while to realise it :idea:
dogngun

Post by dogngun »

Vagrant wrote:
Cryptomecanic wrote:I think Mr Orwell might have been off by about 24 Yr's
HE probably got it right, WE just took a while to realise it :idea:
I'm sure there is a lot of this shit they are not even telling us about.

mark
Guitars and Blades

Post by Guitars and Blades »

Would swiping it with a strong magnet wipe it out?
Steel strings and steel springs...what could be better?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

G&B,

No, it wouldn't as a 2D barcode is just a printed image like the conventional 1D barcodes
Jim
john

Post by john »

This topic was originally started back in 2008. They’ve been keeping tabs on us for a long time.
Let’s face it big brother is everywhere. Pay with cash stay off the grid.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

john wrote:This topic was originally started back in 2008. They’ve been keeping tabs on us for a long time.
Let’s face it big brother is everywhere. Pay with cash stay off the grid.
well said John
john

Post by john »

Just the other day I was asked by the cashier if I had a store card. I said yes, but I’m using cash. The cashier asked why I was using cash and not using my store card to collect points. I said if I don’t pay my credit card bill at the end of the month the points are useless because I paid more in interest then I collected in points. I went onto say and no one knows what I’m buying. Protect your privacy I told the kid who rang me up.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

the blonde/grayer's kids don't carry cash, debit cards for every thing even a pack of gum and they don't check there balance, bubba got zapped with $300 in over drafts. thats like $30 extra for a pack of gum .....idiots !!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Got a haircut about two weeks ago, they asked my name, address and phone #.
I said can I just get a haircut and the girl didn't know what to do. The hot boss lady came over and said come on back I got this.

Seems every turn someone wants personal info like email address, phone or even finger/thumb prints. I say bull squat on all that.
I have been on the i-net since about 2001 and to this day I have never once been on a chat room, Face Book, Twitter or any kind of social nonsense.
Got nothing to hide (or do I? 8) ) but I don't use my name on my email, nor do I use a credit card on the i-net.

I do use ebay and Pay Pal but that's it.

I always though a "bar code" was a secret word to get in the back room at the pub 8)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I made a cash deposit at my bank I've been with for years. The girl behind the counter asked me where I worked. I asked her: "Just out of curiosity, why would you ask me that?" I answered that I'm retired. She said "just a new policy". Geez, she had my driver's license in her hand! Since when does the bank need to know where I'm employed to deposit money into my own account?? Another time, I took money out, and with my picture driver's license in her hand, asked me my wife's DOB! I don't get it! Seems beyond "nosey".

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)