The reason I haven't bought a switchblade knife lately.

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Trey45

Post by Trey45 »

Markco, the reason it's a little difficult to find it as readily as before is because a LOT of the Wolf ammo in 7.62x39 is being diverted to the Middle East, instead of coming to the USA.There's still a good bit that gets here to our shores, but the majority of it goes to the sandbox, this is coming straight from a major importers mouth!(The people we buy all our ammo from at work) Another reason ammo prices are going up is lack of raw materials, China is buying up all it can in raw materials, which we, the consumer, end up footing the bill for. I have no idea if any chinese made ammo will reach our shores, but if it does you can expect prices to go back down. If you remember several years ago (pre Clinton) there was a tremendous surplus of Norinco brand 7.62x39 ammo, some of the best shooting ammo one could buy, it's only drawback was the steel core limited the shooter as to what and where they could use it.If the quality is the same for the new chinese ammo as it was for the old Norinco stuff, I'll buy it instead of the Wolf, at least the Norinco burned a LOT cleaner! You may want to check out the Silver Bear, Golden bear or Brown Bear ammo, it's all made by barnaul( Russia's premier ammo manufacurer) It's MUCH cleaner than Wolf, more consistant, and a little cheaper by the case, but once again, it's a matter of supply and demand, most of the demand for this stuff is Middle east, and most of it goes there instead of our shores.The few cases of it I've been able to get in the last year have all been high quality, the Silver bear and Golden bear seems to be the best, altho the only difference is the casing material, brown bear is steel cased, silver bear is a nickle/zinc clad steel case, and Golden bear is a brass clad steel case, depending on your rifles needs determines which is best for you.
Holy crap that's a lot of writting!
Give us this day our daily lead.
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Well thanks for all that info!!
Don't those jerks in the middle east know that it's more important for me to perforate paper than for them to try to perforate our boys!!!
I've used the silver bear, ran ok in the AK but the SKS seemed to choke on it quite a bit.
Guess it's back to the 8mm mauser and the .308 Black Widow.
They make biger holes anyway!
:evil:
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Trey,

Hmmm..., most the Norinco ammo I ran through my barrels was of a low grade powder. I'll agree the Wolff stuff isn't the greatest, but I thought it was superior to the Norinco. What I miss more than anything is the German surplus stuff I was getting back in the early 90's. Since prices have gone totally apeshit on the ammo, you're right, I might have to bite the proverbial bullet and grab the cheap chinese stuff.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

IMO ALL Chinese ammo, no matter WHAT it says on the box, is corrosive :!:
Runninig a cxouple boxes of "non-corrosive" Norinco through my Valmet and a couple days later beating the bolt open with a mallet convinced me :x
Trey45

Post by Trey45 »

A good rule of thumb for shooting ANY surplus ammo, regardless of its country of origin is to treat it as if were corrosive. I don't mean modern surplus ammo ( After 1995) I'm talking about the stuff made in the early 90' and prior.I'm currently working my way thru a case of Serbian surplus 5.56x45 made in 2005, definately not corrosive. The Czech surplus in 7.62x54R I shoot, made in 1977 is most definatelt corrosive, but gives me -1 moa @100 yards. A quick tip I'm sure you guys already know is to take a bottle of windex with you to the range if you're shooting corrosive ammo, the water removes the salts left behind by corrosive ammo, the ammonia begins the copper defouling, squirt the breech, bore and bolt face, let it run and drip on the deck, then follow up with your normal cleaning routine. You can also use a homemade solution of 75% water and 25% ammonia, a turkey baster to power squirt the bore and breech. Happy shooting!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Trey45 wrote: The Czech surplus in 7.62x54R I shoot, made in 1977 is most definatelt corrosive, but gives me -1 moa @100 yards.
I try to avoid using the word "always" since if someone finds ONE exception they've proved you wrong :lol: So IMO accuarate Czech ammo is almost a sure thing :idea: Czech guns are also "pretty good", the factory test target that came with my Brno .22 magnum is a 3 round group @ 55 meters that you can cover with a dime :!: Not bad for a two-piece "take-down" .22 mag :wink:
Trey45

Post by Trey45 »

Yup Al, I've run the gambit with surplus 7.62x54R ammo, Hungarian heavy ball, Polish 147gr. Albanian 143gr fmjbt, 2 types of Soviet surplus, and the Cz surplus, I bought a 880 round case of the CZ stuff after trying 40 rounds, The Hungarian heavy ball comes a close second, followed by the Polish, the Albanian stuff makes a nice paper weight( wanna buy the left over can of 440 rounds I have?)
Grim

Post by Grim »

8) nice piece you got there
Trey45

Post by Trey45 »

Here's another reason I haven;t bought a switchblade recently.
Israeli trilux scope. Bullet drop compensated for 25, 200 and 500 meters.I dialed it in today, I'm impressed!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

8) sweet!