Need a Mechanic

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. JerrBeer,

Gee, I'm waiting for Wally to make his anual 4th of July trip. When he gets here, I'll hand him a road flare and ask him to look down the tank for me. The fireworks will be inexpensive this year. Oh boy!

Thanks for the tip.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

I believe it was Homer Simpson who said;
"There's nothing like celebrating this country's birthday, by blowing up a small part of it!!!"

M.P.E.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

mypetelvis wrote:BlackJack,

Have you tried the ignition module? Not sure what kind of car you have (what is it?). GM's and a few other makes have a problem with the modules. When the module was bad, once they heated up, they would kill the engine. After you let it cool down for a few minutes, the motor would run until, once again the module got hot. Sort of sounds what you are describing. When the vehicle is acting up, have you checked it for spark? When it dies, does it sputter, or just shut off like you turned the key off?

Knowing what type of car you have really would help in the diagnosis process.

M.P.E.
Hey MPE; Its an 81 Dodge Ram 150 with a 340, (originally a 318). Yeah I put a new ignition module in it still does the same thing, when it dies, it sputters then goes, it has the clear fuel filters on it and when this happens I can see they are empty, I'm thinking of maybe putting a new gas tank on it next. Any ideas anyone, this thing is starting to piss me off.
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

JerrBear wrote:
Bonzo wrote:Gentlemen,
Great suggestions, as my fuel guage is non-responsive on my little Dodge motorhome. Whenever I sober up, I'll give it a try.
Misser Bongo,
Before you do anything it is absolutely imperative that you remove the gas cap and check the fuel level inna tank! You might have to use a match or cigarette lighter as it's really dark down there... :smile:
A match is best because you can drop it down the pipe and get a really good feel for the fuel level. A lighter won't stay lit all the way down.

Hope this helps.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bonzo wrote:Mr. JerrBeer,

Gee, I'm waiting for Wally to make his anual 4th of July trip. When he gets here, I'll hand him a road flare and ask him to look down the tank for me. The fireworks will be inexpensive this year. Oh boy!

Thanks for the tip.

Best regards,

Bonz
I'm stunned you could think that way :shock:
On July 4th a sparkler should be used not a road flare :wink:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Blackjack
Remove your gas cap, and stuff a rag in the hole. Drive the car and see if it still dies. If so, forget this test!
If it keeps running, first try a new gas cap, and then check the vent.
Bill'snotamechanic
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Thanks Bill, I'l try that. 8)
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'