Throwing Knives

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Doc Rocket

actually

Post by Doc Rocket »

Actually what I really enjoy throwing is my "hawks"
I love my country...
It's the #*# goverment...
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

When I was 11ish or so there was a guy named Marty St. Lawence, I think, who threw knives and tomahawks at the yearly sports show at the War Memorial. He did all that spinning wife stuff and so on, and I'd always thought it was phoney until I saw it up close. Won the fast draw contest that year, got to meet him, and he explined how it's done. Never forgot this; throw everything from screwdrivers to utility knife blades (and knives too sometimes) as a pastime. Vagrant's got it right; 2 targets are the way to go.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

MPE, tell me which ones they were. Could it have been the noise that was defective??
The only thing I know about throwing knives is, the ones I've used must have been deffective. They just make a clanking noise and bounce off of the target.
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Sometimes they just went whoooosh. Never to be seen again
Vagrant, maybe they are in the "Twilight Zone"
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning all,
Two fellas I served with had amazing blade throwing skills. One chap could throw Xacto knife blades and large common sewing needles easily 6 to 8 feet and embed them in wood. He was a military armourer, named Tommy.
The second chap used to carry a 8 or 9 inch Bowie inside his waistband sheathed. We were at a makeshift watering hole drinking somewhat warm beer and watching some action type rerun on a oldblack & white TV. The character in the movie does a Hollywood throw and sticks his blade in the bad guy. Several of the troopers watching this on the TV yell Bullsh*t. James, my friend with the inside the pants Bowie says in his Arkansas drawl, "Hell that ain't no big deal". A challenge was promptly issued. We go outside, it is nighttime in the desert, a vehicle with headlights is brought up to shine on a telephone pole by the shack. James backs off from the pole about 25 feet. First amazing thing is pulling this very large blade which no one knew he was packing, and then without fuss, threw with great force into the pole. As he was rocking the knive to get it unstuck I heard him say "Told ya, ain't no big deal". I too was shook, I would have never believed. James was a combat engineer.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Digaway
Thanks I thought his first name was Skeeter but wasn't sure.Yeah I imagine the next time I hear that story it will be 300 feet uphill :lol:
PB
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

I got a set of the Hibben knives but they are really small and hard to handle.With a bit of practice i could get some good groups but the novelty soon wears off!
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

Abe, I have about 30 or so throwing knives and implements and practice all the time for kicks. Years ago they made a knife called the "Pro Throw." I have half a dozen of these. Knocked the wooden scales off (before they broke off) and wrapped the handle with tape but they were a bit too thin and light weight to work well. I have a couple "Tru-Bal" throwers that are 13 inches long and heavy. Professional knife throwers use these but I find them unwieldy (when you miss with these, it sounds like Conans having a sword fight in your back yard). "Olson" makes an 11 inch thrower that I like the best, and Smith & Wesson make a 12 inch "Bullseye" thats pretty good. "Rigid" makes a decent 9 inch thrower but it seems the smaller knives are a lot harder to stick.

A few years ago I lived out in the sticks and sawed a big pine tree off at head height in my back yard. Was throwing my new Gil Hibben (the larger size) when it bounced straight back at me. Had I not moved, it would have whizzed right by, but I instinctively raised my left hand and the blade thwacked hard into my palm. I think Hibben makes other versions now, but this was the one Segal used in the galley of the first "Under Siege" movie. One side of the blade is sharp and something you don't really need in a target throwing knife. Anyway, I was very fortunate that the back of the blade hit my hand (it still hurt) otherwise I'd of been torn open real good. Scared the hell out of me though, and I keep that one under my pillow now.

One other thing. Don't buy the real cheapies. They're usually too light weight and the metal will chip and gouge leaving tiny slivers of steel sticking up from when the other knives ding off of them. Scratched and cut myself numerous times this way so I keep a file nearby when throwing. Finally, as long as you get your distance down and throw the same way every time, the knife should stick. Have to keep the wrist perfectly straight (don't snap the wrist) and throw with the shoulder. Have fun.
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

In 1957 ( I was 10) I bought a "throwing knife" from a ad in the back of one of my comic books for the sum of 69 cents.... plus shipping !
I started practicing daily and got "purty good" at it !
one day, I decided to go for a "movin' target " just then a 1 ton "stake truck" (with wooden sides) went by ! I let fly, my knife found it's mark in one of the wood planks, I sure was proud of myself, until I realize the truck wasn't stoppin' , goodby knife ! ...... the moral ?, hell ! I don't know, I just thougt I'd share this story with ya'll ! :wink:
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

abe suarez wrote:MPE, tell me which ones they were. Could it have been the noise that was defective??
The only thing I know about throwing knives is, the ones I've used must have been deffective. They just make a clanking noise and bounce off of the target.
Abe,

I later discovered it was the person throwing them that was defective.

M.P.E.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Shiver
Do you mean Olsen in Michigan? My next door neighbors father worked for them as a foreman his whole life. I thought they shut their doors though.
PB
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

I'm picking up some good info here and some great stories to go with this. Thanks fellas :wink: .
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

Pushbutton, I'll have to go out to the garage and check the markings again later. I know it says Olson or Olsen and a couple of other markings or symbols are on the blade. Don't even remember where I got the pair of these but I've had em for around 20 years I'd guess. These are real heavy duty. The blade flares slightly before it comes down to a long point which is thicker than most throwing knife tips. It's never bent or chipped and now that I think about it, I wish I had a few more of em. I'll see what I can dig up on em later.
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

Postscript to my last entry. The knife indeed is an Olsen (with an "e"). After the name Olsen, there is an "O" and a "K" with the "O" just above and slightly behind the "K" whatever that may mean? Underneath all of that is the letters "H.I., MI." So I'm sure Pushbutton you must be right as I assume the "H.I." must be some city in Michigan. Didn't remember where these came from or how I aquired them (mail order no doubt) but I'm sorry to hear the factory closed. Those were what I considered the best of the lot, and as said, wouldn't of minded getting a few more.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Shiver
Olsen Knife Co is located in Howard City Mich. Their knives were either made in Germany or some put together here since they are listed as importer and exporter.I couldn't find any closing date so maybe they are still in business. The next time I see Scott my neighbor I'll ask him if they are still around and if he has any old catalogs from his father who passed away 2 years ago.
PB