How To Post Pictures Using Imgur

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Killgar

How To Post Pictures Using Imgur

Post by Killgar »

UPDATE 2/23/2024: Imgur recently changed how you upload pictures so I have updated this tutorial.

I don't know if such a tutorial already exists here at Talkblade, but I have some free time so I thought I'd make one (with visual aides). Maybe it will help someone.

First, I suggest that you size your photo in your computer. It used to be easy to resize them at Imgur, but not after they changed things. I suggest sizing your photos to either 800x600, or 1000x750, or similar sizes to prevent them from being too big (the pictures in this tutorial are 1000x750).

Ok, here we go-

Here is an example pic of the Imgur Home page (the images are constantly changing so it will look a bit different for you). When you sign up for an account you will see your user name in the upper right hand corner of the screen (I have blacked my username out for privacy). Click on your username and a drop menu will appear. Click on the word "Images" in the menu indicated by my red arrow, that will take you to your photo album.

Here is a picture of my photo album, yours will be empty because you haven't uploaded any pictures yet. To begin the process of uploading pictures click on either of the green "New Post" buttons indicated by my red arrows.

When you click on the green "New Post" button you will see this. Click where it says "Choose Photos/Video" indicated by my red arrow.

When you click on "Choose Photo/Video" you should see the photo album in your computer. Select the photo in your computer that you want to upload into your Imgur album (I need to double-click the photo in my computer to do this).

When you upload a photo from your computer to your Imgur album you will see it look like this-

After you have uploaded a picture, click on your username in the upper right corner of the screen to bring the drop menu back down, and click on "Images" to go back to your photo album.

To select the photo in your Imgur album that you want to post on this forum, click on the picture in your Imgur album, when you do you will see your photo with a list of codes on the right side of the picture. Take special notice of the BBCode indicated by my red arrow-

Now here's what I do, I simply write down the BBCode exactly as it appears in the little BBCode box, including all symbols, punctuation marks, letters and numbers on a piece of paper, and type that into my post on whatever internet site I want to post the picture. You need to scroll across the code to see the entire thing, but it isn't long. At this point I only have to write down the 7 digit code specific to each pic, I have the rest of the code memorized.

If your picture doesn't show up in your post, if you get a little black box saying "The picture you requested does not exist...", then you either wrote the code down wrong, or you typed the code wrong. The code has to be typed EXACTLY as it appears next to your picture. The difference between capitol letters and lower case letters matters. And take note- Imgur's lower case L's look just like capital I's, so you might have to try each if there is one or the other in your pictures unique 7 digit BBCode.

There is a way to do it that is done entirely in the computer without having to write the code down and type it out, but this is how I do it.

So, maybe this helps somebody. If anyone else wants to add anything, like how to do it without having to write the code down and type it in, feel free. :)
Last edited by Killgar on Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
sammy the blade

Re: How To Post Pictures Using Imgur

Post by sammy the blade »

I'm a member at allaboutpocketknives.com and there you can post pictures directly of my phone. I'm semi retarded and I finally figured it out. Don't know how they accomplished it but you don't need any Imgur host to post pictures there. Just saying. My user name is samb over there if you want to see some of my knives.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

You can upload pictures directly from your computer or phone as long as the pics are small enough.

From the reply box click on Full Editor & Preview.

When the reply box shows up, scroll down under it where it says "Attachments" and click it.

A box should appear under the "Attachments that says "Add File". Click on it.

This should open your file/pictures in your computer/phone. If you have pictures saved you should be able to click on one and it will automatically upload if it isn't to large.

A new box should show up under the post box that will say "Filename.....File comment...Size....Status. If there is a green check mark under "status" it is the right size.

To the left of the green check mark there will be a box that says "Place inline".

Click that and it will place the code of picture in the post box.

Type in the large box whatever you want to say and click "Full Editor & Preview".

If it looks good click "Submit"

Note: You can only upload one picture at a time. After you place a picture "inline" you must open the "Attachment" again and go through the steps again. Just add multiple pictures to your post before clicking the final "submit" button and you should have them all in a single post.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I tried that but the pictures were to large and I couldn't figure out how to make them any smaller. Maybe I should have stood farther away, doubt that would work.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

All phones work a bit different but on your camera if you go onto the settings you should be able to change the size pics it takes or lower the pixels or resolution. Same as you would have to do on a non phone digital camera. The few camera phones I have dicked with seem to come new set on the highest resolution. change it to a lower resolution and it might work.
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Very useful tutorial. Well done!
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

Thank you, killgar! So helpful. Is this the preferred method for posting photos on TB? I was able to shrink my photos on my computer and have them show up as photos rather than links, but I lost a lot of resolution in doing so. I am new and trying to follow protocol, so if links are preferred I will make an Imgur acct straightaway.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

krhastie wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:00 pm Thank you, killgar! So helpful. Is this the preferred method for posting photos on TB? I was able to shrink my photos on my computer and have them show up as photos rather than links, but I lost a lot of resolution in doing so. I am new and trying to follow protocol, so if links are preferred I will make an Imgur acct straightaway.
I don't know if there is a preferred method, using Imgur is just one method. Whatever you are doing to post your pictures, it's working great. Your pictures look just fine.

Welcome to the forum :) .
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
john

Post by john »

Another app is VGY.ME very easy to use. Once photos are downloaded to the app select the “IMG” link, copy then paste it to the thread.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed