Roofing job of nightmares for Wally J corpse.

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jerryk25

Roofing job of nightmares for Wally J corpse.

Post by jerryk25 »

House in Zakopianski Poland in the Tatra Mountains.
Attachments
Zakopianski-Poland-Tatra-Mountains-04.jpg
Zakopianski-Poland-Tatra-Mountains-04.jpg (52.24 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Re: Roofing job of nightmares for Wally J corpse.

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Jerry,

I would say that particular roof is a wannabe cry of the old wood shingle wave, done with a wood shake or some sort of tile, hard to tell. It might be a fun one to do, but it lacks serious sophistication and forethought, something the likes of WJC could probably construct with eyes closed in mid daydream. Here is an example of the ocean wave, done most likely by a journey level roofer, albeit impressive, yet lacking the qualities of the master-roofer tradesman (the flow lines have inconsistencies, disruptions). As a 25 year veteran of the roofing wars, I personally never attempted the wave, although I have done more wood shingles than I care to admit. Maybe we can awaken Mr. Corpse from his gummy slumber and get his opinion?
3in+heavy+ocean+wave.jpg
3in+heavy+ocean+wave.jpg (947.02 KiB) Viewed 1468 times

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks like that crew found some GOOD acid to me.
2024 candidate for president
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. jerryk25-

Indeed an interesting roofscape. Plane of main roof installation is well applied, with consistent exposures and diminishing special coursings.
If you will note the conical turret on the right, one can see that the installer had maintained even butt lines of exposure throughout vertical run.
This shows an awareness of the geometric shape constraints and a level of expertise.
Likely some locally famous old roofing pal who is sought after for such a task, just AS I was ago. During my active roofing career/sideshow,
Eye too was hunted down to roof turrets, cones, bells, steeples and spires throughout the SF area. Done with composition roofing materials, specifically 'hip and ridge units', I used that science instrument, the tape measure, and yaller kiel, to pre-ordain the pattern of butt and sidelaps.
AS the area of the turret decreases vertically, I developed a method of offset to the units that was gradually smaller until naught. Reported to be pubicly and client pleasing, A notorious became me. I have roofed 31 said turrets, and was happy hang from a rope for a day for my $1300.00.
The skills of genuine craftsmen outlive their hands, but the creation continues their existence.

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
WJC3.jpg
WJC3.jpg (79.4 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
WJC2.jpg
WJC2.jpg (58.34 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
WJC.jpg
WJC.jpg (57.54 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

What would OSHA have to say about the rudimentary "safety" gear?

With those skills plus an apparent lack of acrophobia, you would be a natural rock climber, kinda like these guys..
R.jpg
R.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
I recognize the intersection in the first photo, Pacific Ave. and Divisadero Street, San Francisco. The conical shaped turret is at 2724 Pacific. I went to Town School about a block away.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

nope, no roofs, and no rock climbing . . .

I will climb steel, (well, not anymore)
It's gotta have rungs and grab handles . . .

Man I LOVED looking down on the world. . .
Wally J. Corpse

Greetings, Legion of Fan-

Cudos belong to our ol' pal, Mr. Doofus Emeritus, who was able to instruct me on the somewhat convoluted task of inserting photos into posting. I put those cone pictures in by myself! Jethro Tull's "Teacher" rings clear.
However, most likely due to a lengthy history of cranium impacts, eye have since forgotten same process. I will take notes on the procedure next foray.

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I'm a career draftsman , and I thought I had every type of measuring gizmo that I could afford.
I've even got a Sextant. . . a theodolite . . . inside and outside radius curves, . . Titration Beakers . . .
Stroboscopic RPM meters. . . and an Infra-Red thermal camera.

I'm stumped for what is a " Yaller Keil " . . . . . . do you mean "Keel" like in a boat spine.
I gather it's some sort of Template / Field Measure Guide.

But I don't have a mental Image for what it's supposed to "Look Like" . . .
Wally J. Corpse

Greetings, Mr. jerryk25-

"Yaller keil" is a term for yellow lumber crayon, which I used to mark the existing substrate for new units' placement guides. Keil comes in a variety of pleasant colors, just like chalk line dust.

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

A lumber crayon . . . . Okay . . .

In my world I used natural soapstone, and synthetic soapstone, (resists water a bit)
blue chalk lines, and white chalk sticks,
and Dykem blue layout fluid (very thin laquer paint that you scratch with a stylus to mark metal)

and always. . . Sharpie pens.
or Sanford's Magic Markers.

and once in a while cans of spray paint.

paint pens were sort of "after my time" . . .seen them with youngsters, was not impressed.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I always preferred the beet colored Dykem; and the smell of that stuff for some reason...lol Probably resulted in much brain cell loss.

Those darn paint pens never seemed much good to me. Shake like a spray paint can and push the tip down to get the paint up to the wick/tip.

Then there was the spotting blue. The stuff doesn't dry and it always seemed like no matter how hard you tried to keep it off you you always found a way to go home wearing some. Kind of like whenever I use anti seize.
Wally J. Corpse

Greetings, Mr. jerryk25-

The roofing use of marking devices is such that any marks be buried under new roof surface, and the keil fulfills the marginal requirement of somewhat weather resistant, highly visible notations. It is also nicely holstered in the keil compartment on my executive tool belt pouches.
In regards to chalk line chalk, some folks didnaye read the fine print disclaimer on the chalk refill container, which advises caution, because red is permanent! Alas, I have seen the later aftermath of some rascals that used red snapped lines in the courses of #1 cedar sidewall shingles, and due to the physical planet dynamics of 'dew', the red became blatantly obvious, which was a concern to the owner, who was somewhat less than happy about living in the 'bleeding house'.

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
WallyJ. Corpse
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Bleeding House . . .I'm sorry . . I can't stop laughing. . . .
Wally J. Corpse

Greetings, Mr. whippersnapper-

There I Was, cheerfully sneaking up on some roofers in mine capacity of compliance inspector, when, imagine my surprise that my boss had provided me with a snappy new toy, a device that contained a brilliant orange spray paint can nozzle downwards, with an extended handle and trigger unit. One could happily roll along, marking issues and commentary concerns. However, due to GC sniveling and whiny complaints, instrument of truth was somewhat confiscated, never to be seen again by me. Just shows to go ya', some people are so sensitive, what's up with that?

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Probably gonna catch hell for this but I went with a metal roof this time.
2024 candidate for president