My strange behavior

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
texasmad

My strange behavior

Post by texasmad »

You know I don’t know if I am the only one like this but today I got home from work and went to get out my pocket knife from my jeans and it was gone and I think I actually panicked. Here I have drawers full of all kinds of knives of every length and style and here I was actually worried about my little Browning folder that I carry that wasn’t even expensive but seems like an old friend to me. I actually found myself scanning the internet looking for one just like it. Is anyone else this anal about one particular knife they carry or have or am I just strange?
butch

Post by butch »

mitch youre "not" alone,I love my autos but I "still" carry a buck mannual pocket knife and Ive carried it for so long its like a part of me and when I misplace it i get upset too.
Razor Kitten

Post by Razor Kitten »

He really did panic when he thought it was gone. He tore the house and his pickup apart. By the look on his face when he could not find it, you would have thought his best friend died. :cry: I am very glad he found it, it will be much more pleasant at our house tonight.
~Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult~
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

Oh yeah! This knife was a gift from a long time friend and fine knifemaker by the name of Wick Ellerbe. My EDC for about 10 years. I was helping a friend plant some bushes at his house and lost this knife. I looked, he looked, we all looked for it to no avail. I had the idea we buried it with the last bush we planted because that's where I remembered having it last. I used it to cut the string holding the root ball of the last one. We had backed the truck up next to the hole and just dropped the plant into the hole. The last thing I remember doing tho was pulling the tarp out of the truck to dump the lost dirt into the hole and then covering the root ball. We hashed the idea around for months as to where I lost it, my ideas always strayed back to it being buried with the last bush. Well, my buddy actually went out and dug the bush up months later and did not find it. One year and one month later, still discussing the loss of this knife, I asked my buddy if I could go dig myself. Next thing ya know we are both out there digging this poor bush back up. Pulled the plant completely out of the whole, dug down beyond the original hole depth and didn't find a thing. My last effort was to kneel in the bottom of the hole and I raked my fingers around the walls of the hole....Dammit man, the thing's still sharp....for the little pain of a finger cut, what a nice surprise.....
It's an old style friction folder made from a file, set in antler, and still EDC. Buried for over a year, but never forgotten.

All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...
texasmad

Post by texasmad »

See this is what I am saying about my knife, it's always there for me and it's a working knife and it just becomes part of you, hell mine is the first thing I pull from the pockets when I go to change clothes. I had one I lost as a kid that I was using it to hold a fish stringer in the bank and it got pulled in, almost ruined that fishing hole for me after that.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

We're ALL the same :wink:
But what really gets me going is the "gotahavits" that hits when I see something I wanted as a kid but gouldn't get, because I was "too young" :!: Like this old Herter's .357 :!:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Mitch,

I can relate, and I become especially frustrated because when I lose something I know I have nobody to blame but myself.

Al,

I imagine that one is a bit unpleasant to discharge.

Jim
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

The very first pocket knife I owned , I recieved as a birthday gift when I was seven .
Lost it that weekend in the backyard during my B-day party.
I was devistated , I searched for it every day till dark , about a week later my dad and I were in the back yard and there it was in plain sight.
Didn't find out till years later ,after he past away that he had bought a replacement and put it there for me to find.

I still panic when ever I misplace one.
armadew

Post by armadew »

I lost a swiss army knife the other day. I've had plenty, and they are easy to find, but my good friend had engraved this one for me, so I'm quite bummed about it. :(
Derek Wassom
ARMA GFS
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

:shock: You! Strange?!!!! HAhahahhah
Tex ya crack me up!!!
It drives me nuts to loose anything. Doesn't matter what. I would be better off to have nothing than loose one thing.
I lost my first switch while crossing a swamp in Indiana.(that was before otter hood and no there wasn't a bogg monster after me)
I took it out of my pocket and held it in my mouth to keep it out of the water. My hands were full carring other things. Something happened and I dropped it. Came close to dropping everything else. Waited for my cohort to arrive to take the rest of the crap from my hands so I could feel around the muddy bottom for this blade. Never found it. Even went back after the water went down to look for it. I knew it would be scrap metal but just HAD to try.
My first Rizz lost at sea! God help us all!!
Then there was the time I lost my vir...well never mind about that!
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

i feel the same way when i lost my comb :cry:

tryker
Markco the Mad otter

yeah...I felt the same way when I lost the need for a comb
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Milu

Post by Milu »

Seems perfectly rational behaviour to me. In fact if I couldn't find a missing favourite knife I would need to buy two: an heir and a spare!
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
Dances with Emus

Post by Dances with Emus »

You only carry ONE pocketknife???? Hell, I'd be lost if I mis-placed my Old Timer stockman or O.T Bearclaw or either of my trusty Leathermans. These are my E.D.C's
First things to go on/in right after getting dressed!
'Such is Life'
Mick
Markco the Mad otter

Now speak'n of wacko behaviour,
I have just been informed that our friend SharperD has willfully shot to
pieces his rubber ducky because he felt that it was an evil presence!!!
Pictures are displayed on SD forum!!
:shock:
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!