At Last, Johnny Cade's Switch!! The Outsiders

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Re: At Last, Johnny Cade's Switch!! The Outsiders

Post by jim d, »

From a fellow leverlock fan, very nice Chad!

Jim
~Chad

Post by ~Chad »

Thanx Jim D!

Jeff, there are certain things I prefer about the modern ones and vice versa. :)
gunner

Post by gunner »

Chad, I am touched by this post and thanks for all your kind words! Wow 2007, it doesn't seem like almost 4 years have passed already. I also can't believe the youngest baby just started school this year. Time sure does fly, I sound like my dad now :lol:
I am happy that this thread re-fired your interest and got you back over here!
And that is one hell of a shell puller!! I'm glad you finally snagged another vintage classic (notice I said "another", that's another story :cry: ). This new addition is a beauty, and brings a completeness to your already extensive "cult inducing" collection!!
You are indeed the Cade-Knife König!!
SPRINGER KÖNIG
~Chad

Post by ~Chad »

Time is rolling on by, huh Gunner?! :P And no matter how old I get or how many pullers I get-- the craving and fascination remains!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Beautiful knife! I saw MM had several of his knives for sale! I guess he needed the funds. He had a bunch of lever locks on SD for sale....
john

Post by john »

Hello gunner,
Congratulations :!: , that is so cool to finaly add that knife to your collection. I'm very happy :D for you :!:
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
~Chad

Post by ~Chad »

Tom19176 wrote:Beautiful knife! I saw MM had several of his knives for sale! I guess he needed the funds. He had a bunch of lever locks on SD for sale....
And some nice ones too Tom. I hate to see a buddy have to sell their collection because of financial problems.
gunner

Post by gunner »

I just read a review for the upcoming (6/3/14) USA blu-ray release of The Outsiders: Complete Novel. Luckily the reviewer loves this still as much as the switchblade fans do it seems. Here it is, in more detail than I have ever seen. A user claimed there was a horizontal marking SCH... on the blade above the tang stamp (btw, as expected, that tang stamp is "MADE IN GERMANY"). With only reduced resolution, standard dvd transfers to go by, I had brushed the marking off as rubs or scuffs on the blade. I stand corrected, it does indeed look like some sort of a company marking...very unusual one.
The detail just pops on this high def transfer. It's unreal, or "for real" I should say!!

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm

SPRINGER KÖNIG
Switch King

Post by Switch King »

Wow, I love this kind of Leverlock. There are my Favorites.
You'll often offered in Germany on eBay. Unfortunately, they are 90% in a very bad condition.
I had some of the Italian Shellpuller. But a Solingen Leverlock I have not yet.
When I see the pictures, I have to have one in my collection.
Hubertus was a remake of a shell puller some time ago.
But the Bolsters are not really nice. And the price, I find much too high.
Greetings from Europe
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

The "Cade blade" is indeed a classic! I only have two of them but they are among my favorites, and I also have a couple of Japanese copies, including the "Godzilla blade" that was shown in the underwater scene in the first Godzilla movie.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Did anyone ever figure out why JC had a German puller in The Outsiders? I mean, it is historically accurate (unlike the switches in so many movies) but it just doesn't seem like the blade that a young 50s greaser would have had in his back pocket. I wonder if that was just the knife the prop guy happened to have had access to the day they did that shot or did they put more thought into it (like the backstory was that JC had lifted it from his father's hunting gear)? I would guess they put more thought into it than they did in most movies because there are a few knives in The Outsiders and they all feature pretty prominently (especially the Johnny Cade knife).

Also, back to the OP: damn, Gunner; you were buying lots of Hubertuses (Huberti?) in high school? You must have had the nicest knife collection of any high schooler ever.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Other things in the movie were not historically accurate. The movie was set in the 1960s, but the Star PD pistol used was not introduced until the early 1970s.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Dang, it's always something with those period pieces.

I wonder if they didn't know or they didn't care or if they just never considered that people would ever pay that much attention to the props.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

People like us are in the minority, for sure.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
cadesblade

Post by cadesblade »

gunner wrote:I just read a review for the upcoming (6/3/14) USA blu-ray release of The Outsiders: Complete Novel. Luckily the reviewer loves this still as much as the switchblade fans do it seems. Here it is, in more detail than I have ever seen. A user claimed there was a horizontal marking SCH... on the blade above the tang stamp (btw, as expected, that tang stamp is "MADE IN GERMANY"). With only reduced resolution, standard dvd transfers to go by, I had brushed the marking off as rubs or scuffs on the blade. I stand corrected, it does indeed look like some sort of a company marking...very unusual one.
The detail just pops on this high def transfer. It's unreal, or "for real" I should say!!

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm

is there anyone that has a blade with these markings, that can post a pic? I know they exist, I have see one. the one I have seen is pretty old and pitted but matches the same as johnny cades. I was told it was most likely pre WWII. Most of the ones I have seen posted are much later models.