scarce tang stamp

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ironworker

scarce tang stamp

Post by ironworker »

Ive posted this on a few forums, thought you guys might like to see it.
This is a 9",white pearlex,FB circa 1983. the stamp on the tang is "inossidabile". Frank B. tells me this is one of 300 knives he made for a san diego customer. the customer passed away soon after this and nobody seems to know what happend to the other 299.
the stamp is slang for "stainless" in italian according to Frank B.
My trusty italian dictonary tells me that "acciaio inossidabile" is "stainless steel". so the shortened version I reckon is "stainless"
Has anybody seen this stamp before?,or maybe has one with this stamp?
Apparently before this the term "inox" was only used, following this "rostfrei" and "stainless" appeared on Franks knives. so if I read Franks letter correctly, this is the forunner of those later stamps.(keep in mind that Franks english writing skills are hard to understand at times).
I'm thinking "inox" is a shortend version of "inossidabile", perhaps other more knowledgable members may know the answer to this.
Anyway I thought you guys might like to see this,as nobody else in any of the forums Ive posted in has ever seen one, and I thought perhaps some members in here might have. By the way the button side has "stiletto" on it.
later,PerryImage
"Nothing matters very much,and very few things,matter at all"...author unkown
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Not slang, proper Italian = "Inoxidable" which in [British] English is = Won't create ferric oxide = wont rust = etc, etc, etc.
German is [of course] Rostfrei and equally rare are are the very few early German knives stamped Nicht Rosten :!: [I've only seen ONE pic of that one :wink: ]
ironworker

Post by ironworker »

Thanks Vagrant,
I'm only going by what frank beltrame told me about this knife in response to an email I wrote him,and what I typed was pretty much verbatum.
He said it was "slang" for stainless,but if youve ever corresponded with frank in emails,he doesnt have a good command of written english,usually sarah does his typing. So it is possible he meant something else entirely other than "slang",and perhaps wasnt aware of the context or meaning.
Normally in spanish or italian or any of the latin based toungues, the word "inossidable" without the rest of it.."acciaio"is never used seperatly in spoken language as is not "inox" which is an abreviation for "stainless" so it would be considered "slang' or "badly spoken" language or even an idioma. perhaps that's what he meant.
thanks for your reply vagrant,
regards perry
"Nothing matters very much,and very few things,matter at all"...author unkown
Kushing

Re: scarce tang stamp

Post by Kushing »

Sorry. Hate to bring up the dead post but I just came across the same engraving on the tang. I can not find one reference to this knife except this original thread. I can tell it’s italian ( brass lined , pins are right. ) It’s not a stamped marking but if you look at the picture on the original poster it's an engraving , it’s hand done. Mine is also and a tad bit cruder. Mine is smaller 8 inch and the blade is a straight stainless , not a bayo ...and also marked on the other side of the tang “Stiletto”. Is this part of the same run ? Has anyone else came across this wording for stainless steel on an Italian stiletto knife ? Thanks you for your input.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They are not hand engraved. They are stamped with a bad stamp.
Hand engraving looks nothing like that.
I do both hand and machine engraving.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Kushing

Post by Kushing »

I know your the man Bill but It really looks engraved with all the skipping and movement in the marking It's not a I can send you a picture of mine ... I can also zoom in on the top photo and see skipping in the N. PM me an email and I'll send you a picture of mine. I know you know more then me and most people but mine is definitely looks engraved Look at the N closely in the picture posted and you can see the skip in the engraving and on other letters too. On mine it's way more obvious. BUT it sounds like your familiar with this knife. Can you tell me anymore about it ? Is mine in this same run of 299 ? Is it rare etc. Thanks for the answer Bill. You're the man.
Last edited by Kushing on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have no idea about the knife, except they were always stamped. I do know about engraving.
Recently, some Italian makers have begun laser engraving the stamps.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Kushing

Post by Kushing »

Except according to FB , this was a special run from what the poster said and specifically added this Italian word for stainless. I guess you didn't look closely to the picture above nor mine to determine that they didn't engrave. I'll contact FB myself. I am no knife expert but worked in aircraft tooling , specifically making aircraft tools. I've ran a machine shop and also a press to stamp my tools. Sounds like you also have a press and are experienced yet it seems like you really didn't observe it closely nor care to see mine. The SS also shows complete differences. Unless he is custom making each die and each die has a flow to it like engraving , it's hard to believe one wouldn't use matching dies or clean pressing dies. Anyways. I appreciate your input.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Lousy stamps like this are very common.
I looked at the picture. It is stamped.
No maker would hand engrave ANY blade, much less a production run.
Some people just want to argue. I have provided you with as much information as I can.
I am a hand engraver. I am a machine engraver. This is neither of those. I restore switchblades and have seen hundreds of these "shaky" looking stamps.
Kushing

Post by Kushing »

I see a skip where an engraving tool moved crudely through the first "I" into the "N" and then the "O". In this photo , the "N" looks to have different depths which can be done by the tool setter being terribly sloppy in set,pedal issues , or the shittiest dies known to man or a combo of that. Yet , I believe you. At the end of mine the "E" falls off like his with crappy depth in the pressing of it. It really looks engraved yet I can see where your right. Anyways I can admit when I'm wrong. I'm wrong , you're right. Been stamping , serial numbering , part numbering for a long time so I was fooled. I see how this could be stamped. Thanks for your knowledge and valuable time. I really am just trying to find more info and never ever seen this before I apologize for any offense I created.
Last edited by Kushing on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm not offended. I'm used to it. Thank you for the apology.
People sometimes want to hear only what they want to hear. It's human nature.
I honestly don't know why the stamps look the way they do, but after seeing so many, I just think the Maniago stamp maker at the time wasn't very good.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Though not common, this stamp is not scarce, either. I have two switchblades I bought in the early 90s that have this stamp and once had two others. I have not seen it in a long time, though.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

maybe didn't have the stamp sq. before wacking it with a hammer ???
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
lance

Post by lance »

Yeah or just a dull beat up stamp.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Ironworker last posted in 2007. Perhaps the moderators will move this to a new thread?
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."