Leverletto Kit used Box Elder Burl :-)

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Perry
I hereby bestow upon you the title of- "Mangler."
Very tasteful job.
Bill
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Nice work, all right. Good looking knife.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
YHWH-NISSI

Post by YHWH-NISSI »

Hi Mr. DeShivs,
:D Thank you so much for the compliment :D :!: That means a lot to me! I sure like the design of the knife! I bought 3 kits after I purchased the Stag Damascus blade Leverletto. I'm keeping 2 for myself and giving the 3rd one to my cousin, who I believe will really enjoy the Leverletto :!: :wink:
Perry
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value." Albert Einstein
Trey45

Post by Trey45 »

Absolutely beautiful work! Was the box elder harder to work than sycamore, or the other way around? You have a tremendous talent and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your projects :!:
Give us this day our daily lead.
YHWH-NISSI

Post by YHWH-NISSI »

Hi Mr. Trey45,
Thank you so much for the compliments! :D The Box Elder Burl was harder to work with! It kind of reminded me of working with wood that has a knot in it and the knot will fall out sometimes making a knot hole. I ruined one scale because as I filed it down little by little, to get it thin enough to use as a scale, it just came apart along one of the burl grain lines! It wants to crack and break much easier than the sycamore wood did! Of course I did not have that problem until I got the scale down pretty thin. I actually wanted to go a tad thinner with the front scale but was little agfraid that I would loose that scale as well, or that it would crack when I peened the pins though the wood. I really like the way Box Elder Burl looks though! Are you going to do some wood work?
YHWH-NISSI
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value." Albert Einstein
Trey45

Post by Trey45 »

I have been giving serious consideration to starting a kit knife and I've been looking at various woods and some synthetics for scale material. Just getting some ideas and information before I purchase. I've also given some thought to machining some a) stainless b) stellite or c) micarta for scale material. With doing the machine work the possibilitys are endless for customizing the design.The same can be said for doing wood scales too, so I'm in a bit of a quandry.Regardless of my decision, your decision to do the scales in sycamore on the otf and box elder on this knife were dynamic :!: Well done !!
Give us this day our daily lead.
TOPFLITE

Post by TOPFLITE »

Bravo, Perry -

BEAUTIFUL finished piece and I really appreciate the step-by-step
photos - makes it easier to understand (and hopefully copy).

I agree with the other guys - The Vegas Mangler rides again :wink:
Honest, Honey. I'm only going to buy one more...
YHWH-NISSI

Post by YHWH-NISSI »

Hi Mr. Topflight,
Thank you so much for your compliments my friend! :D :D
YHWH-NISSI
ramathorn

Burl Trouble

Post by ramathorn »

Usually when I work with a spalted or burled wood I make sure the wood has been hardended/stabilized first. Makes it a little life easier, and you don't have to worry as much about the scale falling apart. I typically use Minwax wood hardener since it is so easy to get.

Very nice knife though. Looks great.
YHWH-NISSI

Post by YHWH-NISSI »

It was stablized first but as I got it thin enough it came apart right along a line, go figure? The 2nd try was okay though just kind of scary! hehe
YHWH-NISSI