More Christmas to myself

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Trey45

More Christmas to myself

Post by Trey45 »

Yes... I realize this is a knife forum, not a gun forum, but I feel certain someone here may appreciate this rifle. It's a Bushmaster M17S Bullpup, chambered in .223 (or 5.56 for you sticklers for military nomenclature) Shown here with a Bushnell 4x12 zero'd in at 300 feet. Also shown is an aftermarket 30 round magazine, the rifle comes with a 10 round mag with the "new" army green follower, the 30 rnd mag I refit with new spring and "new" army green follower as well. very VERY accurate rifle, fun to shoot and the ammo is of course really easy to come by and really cheap to shoot.21.5 inch barrel in a 30 inch rifle!! My understanding is Bushmaster stopped making these last year as well as their .308 offering in the AR15 package. Don't ask what it cost 8)
Give us this day our daily lead.
butch

Post by butch »

Nice toy! :shock: I want one.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I love Bullpups, Carbines, and "short iron" in general. I'm not the world's biggest fan of the 5.56 !
Trey45

Post by Trey45 »

I agree with you 100% there Vagrant, I love carbines and short guns too, I also wasn't a huge fan of the .223 cartridge either, until I spent a little time behind the trigger of this one. It has NONE of the inherent troubles the AR15 framed .223's do, the gas operating system is completely closed so no need for spending hours with picks and pipe cleaners after shooting, the entire gas system is maintenance free.Agreed tho, the common .223 is anemic when it comes to taking down big game, nothing like a good ole 30-06 or a .308, but for an afternoon of long range plinking, I dont think one could go wrong, surplus ammo costs about 1.5 cents a round, so it's almost as cheap to shoot as a .22. Even with the assault weapons ban lifted, this is still the only American made Bullpup on the civilian market(New production).
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My only 5.56 [Bushmaster Pistol] too short to use the back of the reciever as a stock you let rest against your forearm to steady it.
Trey45

Post by Trey45 »

Holy Toledo Vagrant !! That is even shorter than mine! I had no idea until just now that Bushmaster even had a bullpup styled weapon prior to the M17S. How old is that one? Gotta love those surplus 30 rounders. I think I would find yours particularly hard to shoot not being able to shoulder it.My next question is, where is the charging handle? On mine it's the back of the carry handle, you pull it back to charge it, it doesnt cycle with each round, all that is taken care of internally.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Trey45 wrote:Holy Toledo Vagrant !! That is even shorter than mine! I had no idea until just now that Bushmaster even had a bullpup styled weapon prior to the M17S. How old is that one? Gotta love those surplus 30 rounders. I think I would find yours particularly hard to shoot not being able to shoulder it.My next question is, where is the charging handle? On mine it's the back of the carry handle, you pull it back to charge it, it doesnt cycle with each round, all that is taken care of internally.
Charging knob is on the top [like a Thompson SMG] above the grip.
They only made a few back in the '70s. Kalashnikov type gas operated NOT the M-16 direct gas impingement. M-16 type grip/trigger assembly.
Lots of fun but not much good for anything other then "walking" rounds onto tin cans when you're in a sandpit :wink: