Older Ones

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Older Ones

Post by Vagrant »

Used to be my Grandfathers "Special Ocassions" knife, now it's mine. George Wostenholm, Sheffield. Image
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Vagrant wrote:Found this cleaning an attic before the family sold the place. Uncle's? Fathrer's? Grandfathers? Beats me :? J H Becker Solingen Garantie.
Obviously pre-war but which war ?
Xarathos

Post by Xarathos »

Nice, got anymore?
"All right you primitive screw heads listen up."
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Cool! 8)

Hey, I like these "old ones".
They have many stories to tell - if only they could speak!

My godmother has her father's (he passed about twenty years ago) Marttiini "linkkupuukko". You know, it's like balisong knife but with puukko blade. Those old ones have steel frame with (red) plastic scales.

This godmothers father was very special to me and I have thought if I dare to ask that knife...
(... she has no use for it)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Simeon wrote:Cool! 8)

Hey, I like these "old ones".
They have many stories to tell - if only they could speak!

My godmother has her father's (he passed about twenty years ago) Marttiini "linkkupuukko". You know, it's like balisong knife but with puukko blade. Those old ones have steel frame with (red) plastic scales.

This godmothers father was very special to me and I have thought if I dare to ask that knife...
(... she has no use for it)
Years ago those knives were "all over the place" but I haven't seen one in years :wink:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Paring knife with O-1 steel a "rare" Bois du Palette" scales. Image
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Back in the '70s hollow-handle survival knives were VERY popular. Life-Knife figured they would "catch the competition sleeping" with a Folding hollow-handle knife :idea: UNfortunately [for them] the public also was caught sleeping and stayed that way :? ImageImage
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Vagrant wrote:Back in the '70s hollow-handle survival knives were VERY popular.
Didn't know that.
In fact the only hollow-handle survival knife I know (knew) is that Rambo knife :wink: :?

To be honest before Internet most of the folding knives here in Finland were cheap China (and that like) production.
And...
... to be very honest they are the best sellers (among folders) even now :? :cry:

Then there's some maniacks like me, ordering overseas or places like that :wink: :)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Simeon wrote:
Vagrant wrote:Back in the '70s hollow-handle survival knives were VERY popular.
Didn't know that.
In fact the only hollow-handle survival knife I know (knew) is that Rambo knife :wink: :?

To be honest before Internet most of the folding knives here in Finland were cheap China (and that like) production.
And...
... to be very honest they are the best sellers (among folders) even now :? :cry:

Then there's some maniacks like me, ordering overseas or places like that :wink: :)
Randall made the first hollow-Handle that became well known with one like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Randall-Kni ... dZViewItem in the late '50s. by the '60s they were getting more attention and by the '70s everyone had to have one. Some VERY cheap ones were made. I saw one that I could crush the handle on with one hand :roll: Many/most had a very weak connection at the handle/tang area. The folder I showed was the only low price one I ever saw but some custom makers made a few with hollowed out-removable scales that were very well made, and expensive. The original idea was a place to store a few water purification tablets but this evolved into all sorts of [mostly inadequate] survival gear :roll: [A Puukko and a few carefully selected items in your pockets is a much better choice :idea: ]
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Vagrant wrote:[A Puukko and a few carefully selected items in your pockets is a much better choice :idea: ]
Agree that!
No offence to any "survival kit/knife" lovers, but I never got into them :?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Here's one I don't own [yet?]. A typical German Nicker but in Damascus. The blade profile is similar to a Puukko but there is a minimal [integral]guard. The very slim throat behind the guard let's you "choke-up" on the blade for excellent control. The design reflects the slightly warmer climate as we move south and "barehand" use is much more common. Geography can effect cutlery design favored by Ethnic groups.Image
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Another Nicker, this one I do own :) Carbon Steel and slightly non-traditional profile but still useful. The influence of Puma's "White Hunter" is hard to ignore :wink: Image
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Simeon wrote:
Vagrant wrote:[A Puukko and a few carefully selected items in your pockets is a much better choice :idea: ]
Agree that!
No offence to any "survival kit/knife" lovers, but I never got into them :?
One versatile kit for a walk in the woods:
Colt Woodsman with 3 spare mags. [One already in the gun, total 40 rounds]
Outdoor 7" [non-cataloged "one-off" item no corkscrew].
Butane "minitorch" [hundreds more lights than the same volume of matches.]
Compass/thermometer.
SureFire flashlight.Image
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

One attempt to "shrink" the kit to minimize weight/size;
Freedom Arms Buckle gun .22 5 shot.
Pelican LED flashlight.
Waterproof butane lighter.
Compass.
Imperial "charm bracelet/pendant" knife. Image