Navy Knife

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mpr933

Navy Knife

Post by mpr933 »

I found this knife in my Grandmothers house after she passed away. I contacted Bernard Levine many years back and he told me it is a Case knife.
Has anyone ever seen this type of knife before?

7" Blade / 4" Handle
No other markings

Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I would guess it's a theater knife because of the cast alumium handles. But if Bernie said it was a Case who am I to dispute it. I have never seen one either and I have about 3 case books.
PB
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Interesting... was someone in your family in the service during the war?

Always like to get a bit of history.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

It looks very similar to a an old US SI diving knife......Although I do challenge its authenticity due to the fact the handle looks like very unstable/unsturdy aluminum and not the solid steel you would find on military grade knives.....

Although just my opinion. :wink:
mpr933

Post by mpr933 »

The story is that it was given to my Grandfather by the Navy. I am not sure for what though.

I am hoping to hear from Bernard again:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=295870
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

HTMLBali wrote:It looks very similar to a an old US SI diving knife......Although I do challenge its authenticity due to the fact the handle looks like very unstable/unsturdy aluminum and not the solid steel you would find on military grade knives.....

Although just my opinion. :wink:
if it is a theater knife it seems more likely they would use aluminum to keep the weight down - plus i imagine steel and saltwater don't mix well!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Gee I'll take a guess too :wink:
The Blade appears genuine :idea: The handle is almost certainly a "custom" item :!: It may have been done stateside or "in country" [whatever country] by a craftsman or small company, and then given to your Grandfather as gift for services, or as a memento. It may have been from his unit or parts thereof or one he purchased himself, but I don't think it's from the Navy Dept itself.
Of course I could be totally wrong and it was part of his issue equipment. [Also the sun COULD go "supernova" tomorrow, same odds :wink: ]
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I concur with Mr Bigg
Aluminium was the metal of choice for theater knives.Many were made on board ships in the machine shops.Many were made stateside by relatives of those going off to war.Other handle materials were used but the majority were aluminium. There have been some excellant articles in KnifeWorld on theater knives.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I've re-handled a couple WW-2 theatre knives that were done in [deteriorating] plexiglass with chalk rubbed on the inside for color, an interesting way to do things :roll:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al
I have seen similiar ones done in plexiglass with different colored spacers.They reminded me of a futuristic stacked leather handle. :wink: A good many came with knuckle handles also. I think the best reason there were so many is because the guys would break there knives and there was always some machinest working who was like Bill De'Shivs and he would take the blades and rehandle them and regrind them if the blades were chipped. Hell Bills old enough it could have been him.

PB
mpr933

Post by mpr933 »

Here is the post from Bernard. I guess I was wrong that it is a Case knife:
I would not have told you that this is a Case knife, because I know it is not. Case never made anything remotely like it.

It is a Grieshaber knife, made by the Grieshaber Mfg. Co. of Chicago, circa 1941-1942. It was never Navy issue, but rather was a PX knife, like the Westerns. Grieshaber Mfg. Co. was in business circa 1850s - 1950s.

See page 159 of Cole's US MILITARY KNIVES, Book IV.

Info courtesy Frank Trzaska.

BRL...