Request info

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
repligun

Request info

Post by repligun »

Hello all I have not posted for ages. I was hoping to get some info on this knife I acquired from one of my uncles toolbox's. He was a fisherman and had passed away a while ago. I cannot get the button to press in to release the blade. Dont know if you can see but the handle has been slightly pried away from the inner body. The slide lock works fine. The hook blade is razor sharp.
Thanks
Den
download/file.php?mode=view&id=26113
Attachments
IMG_7607.JPG
IMG_7607.JPG (810.21 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IMG_7606.JPG
IMG_7606.JPG (783.61 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IMG_7604.JPG
IMG_7604.JPG (764.17 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IMG_7603.JPG
IMG_7603.JPG (595.7 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IMG_7601.JPG
IMG_7601.JPG (877.59 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Request info

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Late 50s-mid-60s MC-1 paratrooper knife. Made by Schrade Walden for the US military.
Handle has not been pried-it has shrunk and warped.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

No expert but is the lock engaged?
2024 candidate for president
repligun

Post by repligun »

Thanks for the info. I would say the lock is not engaged, it moves freely up and down. The button seems to be down even with the handle.
Just an FYI, I am on the Board of Directors and also one of the Archivist's of the Connecticut Air & Space Center Museum located in Stratford Ct. I would love to display this in one of our Vietnam showcases. Anyone have a hint how I can release the blade and display it with both blades open?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

First- is the spring that opens the blade intact? You can probably tell by pushing the blade down into the well and releasing it. If the blade moves back up, the spring is likely there.
If the spring is broken, have you tried pushing the button and pulling the blade open manually?
If the blade has spring pressure, try oiling it at the pivot area.
The button assembly itself may be broken-holding the blade shut. SOMETIMES, if you are lucky, the button assembly can be gently pried up, while being pulled back and out of the hole in the handle. If you are even luckier, you can get it to go back in properly.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
repligun

Post by repligun »

After several days of working on it I found that the button and its arm came out of the handle. That freed the blade. I was able to slip the button back in to hold the blade open. Now on to make a stand and description card and put in the museum showcase. Thanks for the hints and interest..
Dennis
Attachments
IMG_7608.JPG
IMG_7608.JPG (371.64 KiB) Viewed 8665 times
IMG_7610.JPG
IMG_7610.JPG (906.15 KiB) Viewed 8665 times
IMG_7609.JPG
IMG_7609.JPG (630.57 KiB) Viewed 8665 times