"EvenSteven" Dodge

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

"EvenSteven" Dodge

Post by JulesVane »

Hi all! Recent acquisition of this 13" Flatguard Picklock, has lead me to search for info. on it's maker: Stephen Dodge. As I usually do when searching, I've worn out everything I could find on this and SD Forum. He's been a member of both under "EvenSteven", but more active on SD. He seemed well liked and very active for a couple/few years, then gone! DonC showed only one other 13" Flatguard that he made, but other than that, nothing. There was one comment that he had quite a collection of 13"ers, but I sure can't find any pictures. He never really even seemed to comment that he built any knives at all. Anyhow, I know some of you longtime members knew him to some degree. Does anyone know where I may find pictures of his other work? Hard to imagine such apparent talent could fly so far beneath the radar. I've been given a lead on his FB profile, and sent a friend request, but I'm not sure how active he is there either. Can anyone share anything about his work? Thanks in advance!

Doing some research, I read that his first knife he made was this 13" in Abalone....

The 2nd knife he made was owned by DonC, at one time...

...and mine, stamped with the number 3. (OP) Apparently the first he added a safety to.
Last edited by JulesVane on Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: "EvenStephen" Dodge

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't remember him.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:21 am I don't remember him.
He had about 225 posts on SD Forum, apparently most active in 2009 and 2010. But, that was a while back. Other than DonC having one of his knives, and Pat Havlin mentioning his interest in building, he didn’t post much about it himself.
Last edited by JulesVane on Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Mario

Post by Mario »

That must be a LONG safety. LOL! Never seen one spaced so far apart from the button.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Mario wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:29 am That must be a LONG safety. LOL! Never seen one spaced so far apart from the button.
Sure does seem long, right? And short safety slot. Darn safety actually works too!

Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Beautiful knife
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Tom19176 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:40 am Beautiful knife
Thanks, Tom. Strange this EvenStephen seemed to fly under the radar, at least mine.

jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Chris - I had forgotten about that forum name until you mentioned it, and unfortunately can provide no additional insight. That does look like a fine addition to the collection, you find some beauties.

I'm assuming that you can view member profiles. I see them as a moderator and am guessing that members can as well, not that his provides any additional useful information.

Jim
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

sweet find there Chris, I have never seen a Dodge tang stamp, perhaps there is a Plymouth one also lol.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I never had any contact with him.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Gee, Bill, Tom, Eric, Jim and Terry! Can't a guy expect you long time members to recall every member that hung around a year or so over the course of the last 21 years? (kidding, of course lol). I just figured a guy with that kind of talent might have stuck out a bit. But, like I said, not too much was ever discussed about his builds by him. Thanks everyone!

jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I recall the name "EvenStephan" . . . but I never thought of him a builder.
I certainly did not know he produced this level of art talent.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I would inquire about him over at SD if you haven't already.
Just looking at some old posts of his he did mention planning on going to bladeshow in 2009. Unless he was the gray man somebody seems like would have met him. I think I remember him being in one of the pictures. Bob probably knows him (he knows everyone). You can try emailing Bob Chopra, but it might take awhile for him to get back to you.

Last active there in 2020.

I can give you his last email he registered with on Sd but don't want to post it in case he is real private.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Jerry and Terry! I did duplicate this post over on SD.

fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

I believe he is the guy between Bob and Freddie. Anyone know him.
Btw there are some great folks in this picture.