White unstamped stiletto w/stepped pin

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mario

White unstamped stiletto w/stepped pin

Post by Mario »

Any ideas as to the origin of this knife? Flat grind blade with seer hole drilled through, no markings and a stepped sex pin. Is it Italian or Taiwanese? I know some of the old Frank B kit knives had the stepped sex pin. But weren’t a lot of the kit knives sold through EdgeCo from Taiwan as well? Hope one of you experts can help me out. Thanks!
Attachments
EB618DB4-10EE-4BBB-8568-EBF390255C20.jpeg
EB618DB4-10EE-4BBB-8568-EBF390255C20.jpeg (133.29 KiB) Viewed 5526 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: White unstamped stiletto w/stepped pin

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's not Italian.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:43 am It's not Italian.
Would you say Taiwan?
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I am going with Taiwan. 100 % Asian.....
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks like China to me.
2024 candidate for president
LD57

Post by LD57 »

I’d say Taiwan.
The Chinese knives seem to favor the bayo style blades.
And if it was from China, it would be stamped “Made in Italy.”
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

I have an EdgeCo swivel bolster folder, they stuck an Edge medallion where the fire button would go, it's Pearlex and stamped Inox, and I've another that's stamped Rostfrei. Neither is auto and were most likely produced on that contract with Beltrame back in the day. I will get some pics up in the near future.

Just thinking if it was Italian it would've likely been stamped with something and not blank. Neat knife though.

Scott
Mario

Post by Mario »

NorthCarolinaDude wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:19 pm I have an EdgeCo swivel bolster folder, they stuck an Edge medallion where the fire button would go, it's Pearlex and stamped Inox, and I've another that's stamped Rostfrei. Neither is auto and were most likely produced on that contract with Beltrame back in the day. I will get some pics up in the near future.

Just thinking if it was Italian it would've likely been stamped with something and not blank. Neat knife though.

Scott
I think I just saw one of those EdgeCo manual swivel bolsters on eBay. I have a 15” EdgeCo manual stiletto that’s a lockback. Posted pics of it a while back.
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

Mario wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:00 am
NorthCarolinaDude wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:19 pm I have an EdgeCo swivel bolster folder, they stuck an Edge medallion where the fire button would go, it's Pearlex and stamped Inox, and I've another that's stamped Rostfrei. Neither is auto and were most likely produced on that contract with Beltrame back in the day. I will get some pics up in the near future.

Scott
I think I just saw one of those EdgeCo manual swivel bolsters on eBay. I have a 15” EdgeCo manual stiletto that’s a lockback. Posted pics of it a while back.
I have one that's 11 inches, that's the manual swivel bolster and the other is the manual 15" humpback. Can't remember right now but I think the 11 incher is the one with the Inox stamp and the larger one has a Rostfrei stamp. They are both white Pearlex, or "cracked ice", with Kris blades.

It's funny, I think I was digging up a Frosolone to weigh for another post here when I came upon them. I had completely forgotten about them. They were still in the original plastic, in their boxes, with the original EdgeCo brochures inserted in the boxes. Apparently I had just packed them away after I bought them. So naturally, I put a little oil on them and packed them back up! :)

I had promised when I found them that I'd take some pics and get them posted here, and it's still on my to-do list. So at some point I'll get them posted here. They make an interesting pair.

On a side note, I vaguely remember Edge selling the 15 inch model as a "Gigantic Stiletto" or some such hyperbole. And when I bought it I remember thinking how bloody damned huge it DID appear to me at the time. Then many moons later I bought one of AGA's 18 inch stilettos so now it doesn't seem so "gigantic." :)

Scott
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I believe this is a recent Asian knife ( maybe 2002)
It has an Asian blade grind, it does not have a nail nick, it has a thru hole sear hole. it has that familiar white plastic.

The First "Kit Knives" wear imported by "Atlas" and there was a court hearing about whether "parts" constituted an illegal knife.
Few people saw these, I have a poor photo (somewhere). This was pre-digital camera days . .it was either 35mm film or a Xerox machine.

The Edge kits model 120 came out in brass and wood. A great solid knife, hard blade. thick brass liners that did not flex.
It was surely all Italian. I probably bout 20 or so, a few every month. . .to trade or to mangle.

Then they sold the Limited Edition Gold or Silver, I sent for both, but never got the silver plated version.
The Gold version in stag is Microscopic Inspection perfection. Solid, hand picked before gold plating. . .

I remember when Edge started offering all Italian part model 120's in plastic pearloid in red ,white , green , or blue.
I never bought a red one, mostly blue ones, I traded away a green pearl, I wish I didn't, I've never seen another.
So I mangled a few of these with stag or black lexan. . . I often put a false swedge edge on the top of the blade.
Some got custom bolsters.

ONE DAY . . DISASTER. . . . I took apart a blue pearloid, there was a noticeble quality drop.
The Brass liners where thinner, and flexed when you closed the blade under spring pressure.
The blade was tempered different and ground different. .
And under the scales the liners were stamped " Tiawan ".
I think I only bought 2 more, instead buying OTF models.

Then, Edge Co stopped selling Automatics. . . .You got a tilt bolster manual 9 inch folder
that had a LOT of heft, and a better quality blade, in clip point or Kriss blade.

I mangled 2 of the swing guard manual folders into "flick knives" where you grind the blade heel
similar to an Automatic, so the blade flicks out. And upon re-assembly, I decided to fine file the bolster edges,
and found the bolsters where solid zinc soft alloy with a harder bronze plating.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Edge co never had a solid white rizzuto type plastic scale.
here is an Edge Co white pearloid plastic scale
Attachments
edgeco-609f.jpg
edgeco-609f.jpg (83.87 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

This is NOT an Edge Co knife. . .it is marked Milano. . .
Notice the blade grind, the thru hole in the blade, and the bolsters look like wet Lasagne noodles.
( they sag near the pivot pin and the "ears" seem flat. )

I believe this Milano is a very early version of the Asian Clones . AFTER Edge Co quit selling automatics.
This was bought on eBay between 1998 and 2004, (at lunch in my work office.)
Attachments
milano-p07xx.jpg
milano-p07xx.jpg (61.52 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

here are 2 typical Edge Co Kits in my collection, and a folder with tilt / Edge Co
Newest on top, middle is a "later" Edge Co Tiawan kit.
Bottom is one of the first wood and brass Edge Model120's

The detailed close-ups of the tangs show the odd "reverse angle"
of the wood and brass model 120 at the blade choil.

On the middle knife, I put the swedge on. . .it is not factory.
Attachments
EDGE-CO-TANGS-70.jpg
EDGE-CO-TANGS-70.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
EDGE-CO-TANGS-02.jpg
EDGE-CO-TANGS-02.jpg (36 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
Last edited by jerryk25 on Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

These are "Special" in my collection, My first Edge Co model 120 in wood and brass.
And my Edge Co model 2000g. . .which i bought prior to 1990.
Attachments
P7290010xx.jpg
P7290010xx.jpg (133.78 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
P7290015xx.jpg
P7290015xx.jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
P7290017xx.jpg
P7290017xx.jpg (72.32 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
P7290020xx.jpg
P7290020xx.jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Notice the Spring retaining "sex pin" . . . . has a brass grommet in the scale
giving it the double step concentric ring.

ALSO notice that on Edge Co knives, the brass grommet sets in a recessed pocket in the scale.
This detail only appears on Italian made handles. (I believe there were SOME knives with Tiawan handles and Italian blades.)

I also like how on the Gold knife, the bolsters were hand filed and polished before plating.
This gives a slightly smaller set of Bolster Ears . . that have a clean "low-Drag" feel to them.
Attachments
P7290016xx.jpg
P7290016xx.jpg (84.23 KiB) Viewed 5156 times