New Bowie

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
SchwarzStock

New Bowie

Post by SchwarzStock »

I have always thought the Bowie to be a good choice for a heavy field knife. I was especially influenced by Bill Bagwell when he was writing for Soldier of Fortune magazine in the early 1980's. At the time Bagwell was more than 2 years behind on production, I placed an order but it never happened. Bill was big on ergonomics and at the time after considering my height, weight, and looking at a tracing of my handprint, he recommended a 9.5 - 10 inch blade.

I was often at the Special Warafare Center at Fort Bragg in the 70's to late 90's and on one of those occasions I had a local knife smith (S.F. Popp) make a Bowie for me conforming mostly to Bagwell's ideas (9.5 inch blade). It is not show quality and a great knife that did what I wished. The knife was made in just a couple of days because I was going back overseas and there was not a lot of time. The one issue I had with this knife was that the handle was a bit short, Steve Popp was a small guy....
SF Popp.jpg
SF Popp.jpg (725.4 KiB) Viewed 6467 times
SchwarzStock

Re: New Bowie

Post by SchwarzStock »

Fast forward to 2016, I made contact with Bill and he said I would be on the list again but this time he recommended a 10.5 to 11.5 inch blade. Bill passed away in 2021 before making the knife.

Based on the recommendation of a well-known writer I ordered a Bagwell style Bowie from Greg Covington with a 11.5 inch blade. Greg's work is simply superb.
Covington 2-800x600.jpg
Covington 2-800x600.jpg (144.37 KiB) Viewed 6464 times
SchwarzStock

Post by SchwarzStock »

I have since ordered another Covington with a slightly small handle. It has not been completed yet but I hope to have in my hands in the next week or two. Here is a photo prior to having the handle pinned. The photo is a little distorted....
Covington II Handle-800x600.jpg
Covington II Handle-800x600.jpg (108.41 KiB) Viewed 6464 times
LD57

Post by LD57 »

Those are all beautiful bowies, even the rush job.
I remember reading Bagwell's articles in SOF.
I still have a few copies of SOF from that time period somewhere, now I'm going to have to go find them.
Redblade7956

Post by Redblade7956 »

Fantastic knives.