Puukko Illness

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
SchwarzStock

Puukko Illness

Post by SchwarzStock »

Recently I caught the Puukko virus. I found some pictures of a bladesmith's interpretation of Finnish "Winter War" puukko on the internet and asked him to make another for me. It is the top knife and has a 23cm blade. It is big and some say too big but there are lots of examples of Puukko's from the 1940's that had 25cm (10 in) blades.

While he was working on it I found some information about a WWII Finnish Capt, Ilmari Honkanen, that was a Sissi (Guerilla) leader who was awarded the Mannerheim Cross during the war. He carried a larger Puukko that was made by his father. The family still has this knife and a limited number of copies were produced. I could not find one of those so I commissioned the bladesmith to make one using a photo and a known dimension from the original. Mine differs from the original and the copies only in that it does not have the IH initials on the handle. The blade length is 17.5cm and overall 31.5cm.

Both of these have forged blades.

The bottom is a plain old Normark I have used for hunting since I was 17. Always like the simple and comfortable lines. Holds a good edge too!
Puukko Illnes.jpg
Puukko Illnes.jpg (751.55 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
Hardening-800x600.jpg
Hardening-800x600.jpg (83.58 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
rough grind-800x600.jpg
rough grind-800x600.jpg (60.73 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
H Puukko 1-800x600.jpg
H Puukko 1-800x600.jpg (44.05 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
H Puukko 7-800x600.jpg
H Puukko 7-800x600.jpg (36.33 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
gravknife

Re: Puukko Illness

Post by gravknife »

SchwarzStock

Love the puukkos in all shapes and sizes ,but I really like what you have had done with the larger puukko , the clay tempering ,to leave the edge harder and looks like I see the forging pattern as with my samurai swords
.Imho this knife isnt too big its just right for combat and a number of tasks and I would have it in a heartbeat.

The Normark looks a great user knife for almost any task ,especially bushcraft ,tried to buy a few but many were in bad shape ,or out of my price range at the time.

Puukkos are possibly the best bushcraft knives around imho .
Like all the knives you have posted so far thanks so much for posting them,and keep them coming

gravknife