gravity Knife.

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: gravity Knife.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I was friends with the man who invented and patented the pull-tab.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Tiajuana Bibles . .

I never heard that name. . . . .

I have a desk drawer full of small books ....
a lot of religious stuff. . . .some of it Dave Wilkerson Cross and the switchblade comics.

But I have about 6 small story books called "the Checkered Demon " (wears checkered pants)
A little devil dude with amazing strength that has sex with every person or animal he can grab.
He has a girlfriend wo is a whore. . . but a nice one. . . with a fetish for snakes.

This image is the newer fullcolor comic. . .now that the cartoonist Clay Wilson is getting famous.

The originals were small black and white books about 3 inches tall by 5 inches wide. 20 pages.
Attachments
checkered demon and girlfriend 5.jpg
checkered demon and girlfriend 5.jpg (90.11 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

She could have done better than that.
2024 candidate for president
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

the guy whom invented the pull tab . . . . .interesting. . .

My neighbor worked for Pittsburghs "Continental Cans"
that made Iron City Beer Cans out of welded seam on the side steel sheet
and capped on each end with a steel end on one side and an aluminum top with pull tab.

When tough guys crush a can, or flatten a can on their head . . it's usually a "blown seamless" aluminum can.
You never see a Texas guy smashing an Iron City can. .
And they are often in for a shock when a big steel worker rolls an aluminum can into a ball that rolls.

So the Iron City steel can (not I.C.Light ) is a printed flat plate rolled into a tube and seamed.
but a Pepsi can is air blown into a mold and stretched, then is roll printed as a cylinder.

What this means is you can take scizzors and cut a 1 inch strip of metal from a printed plate,
and put it in a can lid machine, and seal up a 1 shot of beer in a pull tab can.

I have a beer can collection, and several cans are fictional . . . half pint 4 oz weird Iron City bullseye logo only.
Attachments
iron-city-88.jpg
iron-city-88.jpg (59.72 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
button_man

Post by button_man »

The Checkered Demon dates back to the late 1960s, when the art of S. Clay Wilson appeared in any number of "underground" comics
(also known in the trade as "comix") along with such luminaries as Robert Crumb, Bill Griffith, Gilbert Shelton, Vaughn Bodē, Denis Kitchen,
Trina Robbins, Kim Deitch, and many others.

The heyday of UGs only lasted from around 1967 to 1972, but I remember when they were common in the apartments of people with whom
I hung out when I was young. However, I've never heard of the small 3x5 Checkered Demon books. Is there a publishing date on any of them?

(I heartily recommend "Reid Fleming -- World's Toughest Milkman". A later-date UG that is sparely drawn; but an absolute riot.)

(jerry ~ I have the full set ( 8 ) of the 1935 "Katzenjammer Kids" Goldenrod Beer crown caps! Back around 1998 I was told that
only about a dozen full sets were known; but this may well have changed with the arrival of the internet..... )
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

Sorry gents, I fell through a portal and went AWOL for a bit but I'm back!! And no, it was because I was in jail!! :D Just a mountain of offline tasks that took way too long to wrap.

With that aside, I do want to compliment Jerry on some amazing work! That thing looks very desirable. It came out really nice!!

On another note, as with many "collectors" found here, I was once knee deep in beer cans, the collectible variety. I still have about 900+ stored in my attic. Including a quantity of flat-tops and cone-tops. In the late 70's I was a BCCA member too and would attend any show that came into the Virginia and Maryland regions as I used to live outside Washington in McLean VA (Fairfax County), I got out of there when I turned 30 and went south. And I never regretted it. Nonetheless, I have bunches of those Iron City team cans, even some of the flats that were never rolled into cans. I keep telling myself the hobby will come back strong again and my kids will high five themselves when it's my time to go and they find their way into my "horde!" :D

Peace all, it's good to be back and there's a lot to get caught up on, it'll be much fun!!
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

whoever gets my house when I'm gone is going to find treasure.
We left the empty beer cans on custom 2 can deep shelves, and hung paintings in front of them.
It was a fantastic insulator for basement concrete walls.
There's all kinds of contraband stuffed into select cans.

Once, back in the early 80's, they tore down a local pool and roller rink, Cabana Beach . .
there was a pavillion on a hill. . .and on one side, a gap where kids "shot baskets" with empty cans.
When they tore it down, we were there, and got some 40 cone-tops. . .and Old plaid Coke cans,
and I can't remember . . . I just remembered I boxed the worst ones. after spray varnishing them.
Wonder if they are rust dust yet.

welcome home NorthCarolinaDude ! . . . .
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

jerryk25 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:51 am If you collect Beer Cans . . . . the tops evolved over the years
First were Cone Tops, with a bottle cap top.
2nd were Flat Tops, all steel can with a seam. as in the blue Churchkey can above.
3rd were Aluminum tops, on a steel can. You still used a key to poke two holes.

4th were "Tab Tops" , , , which you pulled a tab with a tongue, completely off the can.
5th were "Ring Tops" . . . where the tab turned into a ring, Most people remember these.
It was about the mid 70's when the ring tops were outlawed.

Only after people complained about sharp can tabs and rings strewn about picnic grounds
and kids stepping on them and cutting their feet, did the industry switch to the modern
"punch tops" or "pop tops" that you find on today's cans.
Hey Jerry, I just found this old link. I started collecting beer cans in 1971. I had over 5000 different brands and variations. Just to clarify the history of the tops; The flat top can came before the cone top can. The can companies got resistance from the breweries to use because they were all set up with bottling machinery. The can company then came out with the cone top can. The breweries were able to slightly modify the machinery to adapt to the cone top. Eventually as machinery wore out, new can lines were introduced.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I didn't know that. . .It sounds correct. . .

I always knew there was canned beans and meats before canned liquid drinks.
it just never ocurred to me. . .