Unusual Robert Klaas Springer

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
XBMX

Unusual Robert Klaas Springer

Post by XBMX »

Tang stamped Robert Klaas Kissing Crane Solingen Germany with a unusual design features. The release lever spring is covered with a separate strip of Stag and the lever looks like it came from a Boker with their "no hole" design. Almost looks custom made.
rk 1.jpeg
rk 1.jpeg (349.35 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
rk2.jpeg
rk2.jpeg (724.3 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Unusual Robert Klaas Springer

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The lever is not especially unusual.
Someone just glued a piece of stag over the lever spring. I would pop it off and clean up the glue.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

Thanks for replying but it was listed as OEM.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It has been modified. I don't care how it was listed.
No maker would glue a piece of stag or bone over the lever spring.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have 3 of the Klaas knives with the solid lever. They are later knives.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I agree with Bill. That was added
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I too agree that it was added. It seems that:

If Klass wanted to cover the lever, they would have done so with a larger front scale at the time of manufacture, and not with an add-on. It would have been cheaper and cleaner to do it that way.

If such a model was produced by Klass then Bill, Tom, or I would have seen it, or at least photos of it (not to imply that any of us have seen it all).

The knife looks otherwise like a nice example of a desirable model. Bill made a good suggestion about removing the filler and cleaning the residual glue.

Jim
hearandgone

Post by hearandgone »

Looks like this knife is for sale on AAPK.
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

jim d, wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:46 pm I too agree that it was added. It seems that:

If Klass wanted to cover the lever, they would have done so with a larger front scale at the time of manufacture, and not with an add-on. It would have been cheaper and cleaner to do it that way.

If such a model was produced by Klass then Bill, Tom, or I would have seen it, or at least photos of it (not to imply that any of us have seen it all).

The knife looks otherwise like a nice example of a desirable model. Bill made a good suggestion about removing the filler and cleaning the residual glue.

Jim
When viewed in person the added piece of scale is so nicely fitted it's obvious skilled cutler was at work. It actually complements the feel when in hand. I've found dating this difficult. On line posts say from 1961 foward a Roman numeral was added so a stamp of XV added to 1961 would be 1976. Are we to assume without is earlier???
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I bought mine from Knifeshop about 2004.
There are no Roman numerals in the markings.