mini Italians

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
robcelani

Re: mini Italians

Post by robcelani »

One of my favorite mini Italian switchblades!

It has amazing stag, dagger ground blade, slip in spring and steel pins. I tried adding more pictures but the files were too large. I’ll work on it but I’m using my phone so can’t guarantee I’ll figure it out.
5274CB56-28FD-4407-9926-D93417A17871.jpeg
5274CB56-28FD-4407-9926-D93417A17871.jpeg (867.62 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
Though you hold your blade over my heart, through endurance... I will Prevail!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

That's a very nice one.
I wonder who made these?
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Rob

That stag example is eeally amazing Great Stag .Bolsters look nickle silver and with that dagger blade aswell . 8) I'll wager its a very rare little knife.

I only have one example ,it has a slip in spring but with stainless bolsters ,I really love the minis ,just so tactile.Apologies for the older pics on advance.

Bill ...were these not made in Maniago like their larger counterparts ,in the cottage industry ?

Ian
Attachments
DSC_0085.jpg
DSC_0085.jpg (425.53 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
DSC_0083.jpg
DSC_0083.jpg (369.94 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
robcelani

Post by robcelani »

Thanks Bill! No idea who made it or when? Wish I knew more history on these. Most of what I know about them came from talkblade and the great members here.

Ian, thanks for the nice comment about mine! Regarding yours, unless it’s some kind of weird variant it has a one piece backspring and kick spring. If it’s really a slip in spring I’d like to see a picture.

The bolsters aren’t stainless either. Here’s what Bill said on page 1 of this thread:

“In the early 1970s, the Italian minis had one-piece liners/bolsters made of nickel plated brass.
The nickel was removed along the top and bottom, so the brass showed.”

So it’s nickel plated brass. The nickel was removed along the body and bottom bolster not the top bolster. That way the top bolster looks like stainless steel. It’s not though.

I believe the models with the stamp yours has are from the 80’s. Made the same as the ones from the 70’s. Probably different stamps in the 70’s, still the same production method.

Take a look at yours closely and see if what I wrote matches up.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The earlier models had replaceable springs.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
thom

Post by thom »

portlandmike wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:55 pm Here’s my mini drawer
I'm Just now seeing your collection of minis. Impressive. What are the lengths of the kris blades? What length is considered "mini"? Anything under 6"???
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

thom wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:19 am
I'm Just now seeing your collection of minis. Impressive. What are the lengths of the kris blades? What length is considered "mini"? Anything under 6"???
Hey Thom, the kris are 4.5” … I’ve seen a few discussions on what should be considered a “mini” and what is a “small” but I don’t remember any solid conclusions
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Oh and Thanks !!
robcelani

Post by robcelani »

Here’s one of my newer mini’s. I think from the 50’s.

It has horn handle, dagger blade, slip in spring, d stamp, sear ramp on the blade. Seems to be a custom finish on the dagger blade mini’s I have.

First one I’ve found with the curved line under INOX on the tang. This one’s a survivor. Has patina and tarnishing on blade and bolsters. It’s good to go now and shows the age well! Doesn’t look used to me, I’d guess poor storage.

I love it and am happy to have it. Not many of these around that I’ve seen.
Attachments
F1AC42AC-9A24-4B95-A6CB-33ACC8F49AB1.jpeg
F1AC42AC-9A24-4B95-A6CB-33ACC8F49AB1.jpeg (697.16 KiB) Viewed 3644 times
robcelani

Post by robcelani »

portlandmike wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:24 pm
thom wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:19 am
Hey Thom, the kris are 4.5” … I’ve seen a few discussions on what should be considered a “mini” and what is a “small” but I don’t remember any solid conclusions

I think it’s an individual preference of what counts as a mini. 6 inch is a relatively small knife. I don’t have any in my mini collection however some people do and to them it’s a mini. I prefer 4 inch and under for my mini collection. Saying that I have some mini’s over 4 inches that I love.
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

Wow that's an outstanding dagger, the horn is incredible! Maybe I just didn't notice but not sure I have seen one with a ramp before
robcelani

Post by robcelani »

rithvich wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:19 pm Wow that's an outstanding dagger, the horn is incredible! Maybe I just didn't notice but not sure I have seen one with a ramp before
The first dagger mini I posted in stag does not have a ramp on the blade for the sear pin. The second one in horn has it. I’ve seen pictures of other dagger blades that also have the ramp.

If I had to guess I think my stag is an older version. It’s a little bit thinner overall and has steel pins. I was told by another mini collector that the INOX stamp is older than the INOX with curved line under it. So by the stamp my stag is an older version as well. Anyway it’s interesting to me that an older built one does not have the ramp.

Here’s a picture of 3 more older mini’s. 2 dagger blades and a bayonet blade. All 3 have the ramp. Also, cool half moon face stamp on one!

These are not my knives, I’m only sharing the picture.
Attachments
CD6F55E3-7BF1-4AE9-B5C5-1F94C3B2C89A.jpeg
CD6F55E3-7BF1-4AE9-B5C5-1F94C3B2C89A.jpeg (169.64 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
boots

Post by boots »

robcelani wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:50 pm
rithvich wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:19 pm Wow that's an outstanding dagger, the horn is incredible! Maybe I just didn't notice but not sure I have seen one with a ramp before
The first dagger mini I posted in stag does not have a ramp on the blade for the sear pin. The second one in horn has it. I’ve seen pictures of other dagger blades that also have the ramp.

If I had to guess I think my stag is an older version. It’s a little bit thinner overall and has steel pins. I was told by another mini collector that the INOX stamp is older than the INOX with curved line under it. So by the stamp my stag is an older version as well. Anyway it’s interesting to me that an older built one does not have the ramp.

Here’s a picture of 3 more older mini’s. 2 dagger blades and a bayonet blade. All 3 have the ramp. Also, cool half moon face stamp on one!

These are not my knives, I’m only sharing the picture.
I'd love to have a collection like that! I just bought a cheapy OTF from nicnac.net it's a fun little knife until it breaks, for $30.00 what the hell! Made in Italy is etched on the blade, and it comes with a sheath!

robcelani

Post by robcelani »

Here’s another Stag Dagger Blade Mini Italian. It has a cool silver skull & crossbones attached. It’s a 50’s-60’s made knife. Has the same features as the larger 50’s knives such as slip in spring, D stamp liners and ramp on the blade for the sear pin. Amazing condition and functions perfectly.

Most my files are too large to load. This one worked and shows the size so it’ll do.
Attachments
F4113736-56AF-478F-BFB3-F6D594BE4737.jpeg
F4113736-56AF-478F-BFB3-F6D594BE4737.jpeg (791.11 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Really cool!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)