mini Italians

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
big_slim

mini Italians

Post by big_slim »

Just recently started getting into these little guys, never thought much about them. Now I'm always looking for more lol, currently looking for an original box for the 2 3/4" ones.
Attachments
minis.jpg
minis.jpg (909.6 KiB) Viewed 11371 times
Panzerfaust

Re: mini Italians

Post by Panzerfaust »

Nice and I have three of the minis in the boxes that I bought in Florence, Italy, in 1995.
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

That's awesome, I was in Florence in 2000, it's a beautiful city! Unfortunately I didn't know much about switchblades back then. I might've bought one if I'd ever seen any for sale. None of the stalls/street vendors were selling any that I remember, minis or otherwise, but probably just didn't know where to look.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

big_slim wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:52 pm That's awesome, I was in Florence in 2000, it's a beautiful city! Unfortunately I didn't know much about switchblades back then. I might've bought one if I'd ever seen any for sale. None of the stalls/street vendors were selling any that I remember, minis or otherwise, but probably just didn't know where to look.
I didn't see many for sale but the street vendor told me a gun license was required to legally own one so that's probably why. Not sure if that applied to minis and I also have a 9-inch that I bought from the vendor. When my cousin visited Italy in 1986, he said they were for sale everywhere and I still have a 13-inch he bought me that he said he purchased at a train station.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I recall the mini switchblades changed, from 4 front pins down to 3 pins.
Here is Benthos's photo. . . . . some have 3 pins. . .some have 4 pins
Attachments
mini-pin-count-2.jpg
mini-pin-count-2.jpg (295.05 KiB) Viewed 11281 times
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

I have two minis I bought in the mid-1980s that have four pins and the ones I bought in 1995 have three. I also have a Japanese mini picklock.
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

The. three pin is newer with a two piece backspring and probably not NS bolsters. The fourth pin. I believe, holds in the backspring assembly on the older ones.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

TazmanTom wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:45 pm The. three pin is newer with a two piece backspring and probably not NS bolsters. The fourth pin. I believe, holds in the backspring assembly on the older ones.
Do the older 4 pin models have NS bolsters?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

there is an older model that is a genuine Latama . . .that most certainly has Nickel bolsters.
these are photos from the other website, of the actual knife on a Sheldon Levy Newsletter.

so there is a very high probability some minis are nickel. . .
but when they changed. . .I couldn't even guess.
I've seen a lot of photos with a dull patina bolster, suspiciously nickel.
Attachments
latama-imo-001.jpg
latama-imo-001.jpg (120.21 KiB) Viewed 11168 times
latama-imo-002.jpg
latama-imo-002.jpg (123.14 KiB) Viewed 11168 times
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

The early 4 pins are almost certainly NS. Even the Japanese, same size, are NS. I had a couple from Hungary that were also NS. The new 3 pins aren't brass liners either, probably white metal. If you have both, the differences are obvious. There were a very few, very early that were aluminum frames. Super rare. Hope this helps.
Here's a better pic of the Latama you mentioned. The "Holy Grail" of minis.
Attachments
7cm-Latama2.JPG
7cm-Latama2.JPG (323.57 KiB) Viewed 11135 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Great info.! I had no idea about the NS bolsters on the older ones, or a tiny Latama even existed. Thanks guys!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

So yes the 50's daggers are nickel silver, D stamped, slip in spring. Even some of the early swedge blade minis are. So just for conversation purposes I would guess they switched post 58 but that is literally just a guess.

That knife on the newsletter is an unstamped stag dagger. Was in Jerry Skelton's collection and has been in my close to ten years. That's a very old pic you had Jerry. Wasn't taken by me or I doubt Jerry S either.

That latama mini is for sure one of the holy grails and be careful Big Slim as mini collecting can be 10x as addicting as normal switchblade collecting once you get rolling 😂
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

In the early 1970s, the Italian minis had one-piece liners/bolsters made of nickel plated brass.
The nickel was removed along the top and bottom, so the brass showed.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Thanks, Bill. I knew there were some plated then edges polished off, couldn't remember details. Here's a couple more pics of early marked minis. Some swedged, some slip in springs, etc..one on left is a slip joint, doesn't lock open, with steel pins in scales. No hole in lock tab and no locking pin on blade. Fairly rare.
Attachments
8417.jpeg
8417.jpeg (826.62 KiB) Viewed 11017 times
8412.jpeg
8412.jpeg (527.6 KiB) Viewed 11017 times
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I just got this neat shell wrap mini
Attachments
D367F6C4-2881-4D16-81DB-4ED8C1AF81F1.jpeg
D367F6C4-2881-4D16-81DB-4ED8C1AF81F1.jpeg (87.8 KiB) Viewed 10930 times