Steel Lined S.M. Co. 8"

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Steel Lined S.M. Co. 8"

Post by JulesVane »

An 8" S.M. Co. Picklock with steel liners...Do you think steel liners were a customer's (importer's) request? I would think if they were cheaper to make, we would see much more of them. Benefits or drawbacks?...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
whippersnapper

Re: Steel Lined S.M. Co. 8"

Post by whippersnapper »

Yeah, makes you wonder if there was a shortage of brass? I could see it if these were war time made.

Steel may actually be stronger so maybe it was requested or just something different they tried.

Drawbacks might be rust and also harder than brass for the makers to work with. I don't know if these liners were hand made or stamped but steel is usually a little harder on tooling I would think.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Steel is not too hard but it's definitely harder to deal with than brass. It seems like they usually used it on really old knives (almost all Frosolones and most flatguard stilettos) but then started almost always using brass once they started doing one-piece top bolsters.

There are not a lot of steel lined ones like that. It seems like most of the ones I have seen were on Coricamas. A steel lined SMCo is really rare.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I was thinking the same thing, the steel lined picklocks I have seen, (at least those I remember) were all Coricamas. Great find!

Jim
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

DSCN9444.JPG
DSCN9444.JPG (253.02 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
DSCN9446.JPG
DSCN9446.JPG (249.16 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
These are Triangolo's which were made by the same shops as Coricama.
thom

Post by thom »

Jackalope wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:08 am DSCN9444.JPG
DSCN9446.JPG
These are Triangolo's which were made by the same shops as Coricama.
Both are really nice. Thanks for showing. I do like the looks of the steel liners better than brass.
Thom
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Really nice Jeff! Steel(?) pins too!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Thank you both.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

Very interesting, I don’t recall seeing a steel lined SMco. Knife…. Nice pair Jeff, don’t often see the wood scaled knives from that era.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

I have owned a few SMCo's and have not seen a steel lined knife.
Here are a few but I never took edge photos.
DSCN2857.jpg
DSCN2857.jpg (94.34 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
DSCN2858.jpg
DSCN2858.jpg (109.33 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
DSCN2854.jpg
DSCN2854.jpg (80.41 KiB) Viewed 1918 times

I have owned tons of Romo stamped knives with steel liners but the were all of the slip joint style.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Jeff,

I suspected you might be the one to refresh my memory...

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The steel lined Coricamas have chrome plated bolsters and liners.
Your S.M. co. has normal nickel silver bolsters and plain steel liners. Very unusual.
The handles look like they may be plastic, rather than horn. Can't tell from the pictures.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Those scales are definitely plastic. It looks like the same stuff they used on Raimondos. I think the button is plated too like RMs.

Chris, does the locktab not have the two lines like most locktabs have? The two Raimondos I have had both did not have the lines in the locktab.

Though, those two did not have steel liners like this one.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Sorry for the delayed response guys. Yes Bill and Jeremy, certainly are plastic scales, but there are lines on the locktab. I wanted to place the S.M. Co. along side my EIG Cutlery steel lined for comparison. Certainly similar, but different. I guess there's no way of telling if they came from the same workbench...

thom

Post by thom »

Jackalope wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:39 pm I have owned a few SMCo's and have not seen a steel lined knife.
Here are a few but I never took edge photos.
DSCN2857.jpg
DSCN2858.jpg
DSCN2854.jpg

I have owned tons of Romo stamped knives with steel liners but the were all of the slip joint style.
Those are gorgeous.