Vintage Swinguards

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Vintage Swinguards

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks to Thom ("Thanks Thom") for introducing me to someone that just happened to have a 6.25" swinger to add to my few vintage set (not an easy find). Eventually, I'll find the right 11" to add. Here's 6.25"- 7"- 7"- 8"- 9" and 9"...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
thom

Re: Vintage Swinguards

Post by thom »

Nice set JV. Glad it finally worked out for you. Patients young Luke.
I see they all have 2 pins on bottom bolster. Why???
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

thom wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:29 am I see they all have 2 pins on bottom bolster. Why???
If they only had one pin, the lock would just push the spring out of place when you press on it. Think of it like putting a framed pic on the wall with one nail on the top right and one nail on the top left. Now imagine what happens if you take one nail out.

While some swingers or lockbacks, like Kissing Cranes or Chinese AKC knockoffs) appear to only have one pin they actually have a second pin that is hidden by the bolster.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

They are all great but the little one is a gem!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

JulesVane,

Nice set! Thanks for posting. The horn on your 7 is really nice. I have a 7 with gorgeous light horn and have seen others in that size with great horn. Seems they allocated some beautiful horn for the sevens.

I have a couple of really nice 11s, one in stag, one in nice dark horn. Send me a pm if you might have interest in one.

Jim
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Great set ! I assume no 11" yet?
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

way to go Chris, I like them all.
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

Very nice collection of older swinguards, JV. It's the older ones that are hard to come by, especially when they're small and scaled in stag. Most excellent.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks for the kind words guys!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

jim d, wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:00 am JulesVane,

Nice set! Thanks for posting. The horn on your 7 is really nice. I have a 7 with gorgeous light horn and have seen others in that size with great horn. Seems they allocated some beautiful horn for the sevens.

I have a couple of really nice 11s, one in stag, one in nice dark horn. Send me a pm if you might have interest in one.

Jim
Hi Jim! Yes, I'm certainly interested in finding a vintage 11" for this set. Thanks! PM incoming...

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Question: Does anyone know of the years of production gap in the Italian swinguards? Seems they were first produced such as these in the 1960's with flat grind blades, "D" stamped, NS hardware. But, when were swingers re-introduced? I've never heard of 1970's or '80's swingers (that I'm aware of). Was it very late 1990's/2000 that Frank Beltrame started producing 11" swinguards again with different grinds such as bayo and dagger, no "D" cutouts and SS hardware? What was happening with production of them between 1968 (or so) and the year 2000?

Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

JulesVane wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:38 pm Question: Does anyone know of the years of production gap in the Italian swinguards? Seems they were first produced such as these in the 1960's with flat grind blades, "D" stamped, NS hardware. But, when were swingers re-introduced? I've never heard of 1970's or '80's swingers (that I'm aware of). Was it very late 1990's/2000 that Frank Beltrame started producing 11" swinguards again with different grinds such as bayo and dagger, no "D" cutouts and SS hardware? What was happening with production of them between 1968 (or so) and the year 2000?
Hey JV, not sure this helps answer your question as I'm still learning something new everyday. Attached are pics of 3 swinguards. The 2 that are together, I bought from a knife salesman from the Northeast who sold knives in the 70's - 90's. These knives have front tang stamped AKC. But these are not the AKC stamps used today. Best I can determine these are older and may be the first stamps AKC used. The green horn w/bayonet blade has NS bolsters & button. The imitation ivory w/dagger blade has SS bolsters & NS button. Both are from the 80's according to the salesperson but can't verify it's true. The 3rd knife came from an auction that stated the knife was from the 70's. This swinguard has thick stag scales with NS bolsters. Very similar to the Puma "Medici" knives. This may have been imported to the German market but is Italian made. Listed in Zinser's "Switchblades of Italy" p96.There is no front tang stamp. The rear tang stamp has an oval over ROSTFREI. Also, this swinguard has a double spring system which is somewhat unique to these type knives. As I also have another similar knife w/out the swinguard with the double spring. If anyone has additional info on these knives please let me know.
AKC Swinguards #1.jpg
AKC Swinguards #1.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
AKC Swinguards #2.jpg
AKC Swinguards #2.jpg (48.68 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
AKC Swinguards #3.jpg
AKC Swinguards #3.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
German Mkt Swinguard #1.jpg
German Mkt Swinguard #1.jpg (40.23 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
German Mkt Swinguard #2.jpg
German Mkt Swinguard #2.jpg (37 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
German Mkt Swinguard #3.jpg
German Mkt Swinguard #3.jpg (30.03 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Chris, but AKC didn’t exist until approximately 2001, which came out with the 9” swinguards after Frank B came out with his 11”.
Last edited by JulesVane on Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

I guess it’s hard to trust anyone these days.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Chris51P wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:31 pm I guess it’s hard to trust anyone these days.
:lol: