9" La Vespa Picklock

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

9" La Vespa Picklock

Post by JulesVane »

I don't know much about the La Vespa stamp. Things I have learned is "La Vespa" means "The Wasp", which I HAD thought all La Vespa pieces had the wasp body style but obviously do not as seen here. I understand (have read), it's a Zoppis knife and Zoppis is/was from Milan. I can see no "D" stamp in the liner on this piece. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JayAK80

Re: 9" La Vespa Picklock

Post by JayAK80 »

That’s a nice knife. I’m interested to hear more as well.
sprink

Post by sprink »

Can't tell you anything about it except it a cool looking knife, what's going on with the backspring between the ears ?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

sprink wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:13 pm Can't tell you anything about it except it a cool looking knife, what's going on with the backspring between the ears ?
Thanks. Just a hard to reach area. No issues other than dirty.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
thom

Post by thom »

JV, really nice. Love the horn. Or is it wood? Whatever it's pretty. What is length?
That would look really nice in my display case as well! lol
Thom
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

:lol:
thom wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:55 pm JV, really nice. Love the horn. Or is it wood? Whatever it's pretty. What is length?
That would look really nice in my display case as well! lol
Thom
:lol: Thanks Thom, it's 9" and horn. Geez, now that you're into vintage stuff, they'll be none left for the rest of us! lol

Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Nice knife, Chris. My understanding is that Zoppis was a trading company that purchased knives from Maniago and added their own stamp for export. I've seen several photos of Latama-style two-piece flatguards (I assume from the early '50s) bearing their name, but FWIW, your knife looks like a Mauro Mario-made piece to me.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thank you Rick! But, in my opinion, EVERY vintage picklock "looks" like a Mauro Mario!

Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

JulesVane wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:48 am Thank you Rick! But, in my opinion, EVERY vintage picklock "looks" like a Mauro Mario!
There were over 60 different families of makers and shops making switchblades in Maniago. Everyone says “Mauro Mario” when I fact it could be 1 of 60 or more different makers.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Maltese flatguard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:58 am
JulesVane wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:48 am Thank you Rick! But, in my opinion, EVERY vintage picklock "looks" like a Mauro Mario!
There were over 60 different families of makers and shops making switchblades in Maniago. Everyone says “Mauro Mario” when I fact it could be 1 of 60 or more different makers.
I think Rick's MM comment might have been a bit of an inside joke as we are always saying this same thing! How everything's a "Mauro Mario". He knows how that drives me nuts! lol

Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

JulesVane wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:15 am
Maltese flatguard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:58 am
I think Rick's MM comment might have been a bit of an inside joke as we are always saying this same thing! How everything's a "Mauro Mario". He knows how that drives me nuts! lol
Good one! :)

Some people say Mauro Mario made most everything- because the don’t have the knowledge about all the other makers out there!

What Corvus said is pretty close to what how Zoppis operated.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

very cool knife i always wanted one of the wasp shaped La Vespa flatguard picklocks didnt know they made regualr shape picklocks too very cool my friend :)