My First Latama

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Corvus

Re: My First Latama

Post by Corvus »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Always learning something new around here.
Maltese flatguard wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:50 pm Do you have the Latama Legend book? Yes the Latama kris blades were only produced from roughly November of 1950 through about September 1951. That was newly discovered information in the book.

If it says in Switchblades of Italy that the Kris blade was Patented in 1951 that information is all wrong.
Maltese flatguard, thanks for narrowing down that date for me. I don't have the Latama book but I hope to get a copy.

The Switchblades of Italy book doesn't attempt to date the Kris blade, they just reproduce the patent document on page 33. I thought it said 1951, but the ink stamp in the photo is kinda fuzzy.

Just checked the book again and there's a much larger reproduction of the patent doc on page 127 where you can make out some additional 1950 date stamps.
Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

Corvus wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:10 pm Thanks for the feedback, guys. Always learning something new around here.
Maltese flatguard wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:50 pm Do you have the Latama Legend book? Yes the Latama kris blades were only produced from roughly November of 1950 through about September 1951. That was newly discovered information in the book.

If it says in Switchblades of Italy that the Kris blade was Patented in 1951 that information is all wrong.
Maltese flatguard, thanks for narrowing down that date for me. I don't have the Latama book but I hope to get a copy.

The Switchblades of Italy book doesn't attempt to date the Kris blade, they just reproduce the patent document on page 33. I thought it said 1951, but the ink stamp in the photo is kinda fuzzy.

Just checked the book again and there's a much larger reproduction of the patent doc on page 127 where you can make out some additional 1950 date stamps.
Cool. I just checked too. The text says “applied for in 1950 and granted in 1952.” That’s wrong. It was granted in 1950.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

From the later pictures, the button looks fine. The first one made it look turned.
Thanks for the additional pictures.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Corvus wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:55 am
JimBrown257 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:46 am That is a normal slip-in spring.
Thanks, Jim. How do you tell without having the knife apart? I assume that a dovetailed spring would be more or less flush with the mating part, with a small gap between them, rather than stepped like mine?
On a slip-in spring, like yours, the separation between the two springs is at about the top of the bottom bolster. With a dove-tail, the separation is much lower, about 1/3 way up the bottom bolster.
Maltese flatguard

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:46 am From the later pictures, the button looks fine. The first one made it look turned.
Thanks for the additional pictures.
It looked fine in the original pictures. One needs to be careful when expressing options before taking the time to weigh the evidence. This might have soured Corvus on his new first ever Latama.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I can guarantee that I have made more Latama buttons than you have.
And I said it APPEARS the button had been replaced.
One needs to be careful to drop things at the appropriate time.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Maltese flatguard

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:28 am I can guarantee that I have made more Latama buttons than you have.
You have made authentic Latama buttons? When, in the 1940s or 1950s? The authentic way, punched out or turned down from stock?
Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:28 amAnd I said it APPEARS the button had been replaced
Exactly. 👍
Last edited by Maltese flatguard on Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Thanks for expanding on that, Jim.

And thanks to everyone for their comments.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

man that's a sweet Latama.
boblees812

Post by boblees812 »

Corvus. Good for you ,,, Very nice all original knife.
Maltese flatguard

boblees812 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:33 am Corvus. Good for you ,,, Very nice all original knife.
I agree. The knife doesn’t look messed with in any way.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thats a beautiful looking Latama Corvus.

Love the horn and the kriss blades always look fantastic when they rarely appear.

Congratulations on a great score..
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Does this have one of these rockers? These ones seem real prone to buttons falling off.
Attachments
IMG_3378.JPG
IMG_3378.JPG (88.59 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Hoookay, now I'm really confused. How can you tell what the rocker looks like without disassembling the knife? Fiber optics? X-rays? Nanites?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Corvus wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:31 am Hoookay, now I'm really confused. How can you tell what the rocker looks like without disassembling the knife? Fiber optics? X-rays? Nanites?
I've seen quite a few picklocks that have that rocker (you can usually tell because the button has fallen off and you can see that flat base). It seems like more often than not, these missing button flat base knives have a Latama stamp.