Vintage 9" Humpback

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Vintage 9" Humpback

Post by JulesVane »

Not sure if produced in the 50's or 60's, but here's an older 9" Humpback that we don't see all that often. Leaf spring fired as compared to the coil springs that I understand are more common and really transparent horn that I originally mistook for plastic....

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Corvus

Re: Vintage 9" Humpback

Post by Corvus »

Damn, that's nice. Very unusual to see one with a bayonet blade. Most have swedge blades. Very unusual and attractive horn, too.

I have a copy of that patent. It was filed in 1959 and, if I'm reading it right, was first used in 1960. I have one in lacquered stag with a swedge blade and leafspring that appears to have been made in the same shop as yours. The build quality is every bit as good as that of my vintage picklocks.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Corvus wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:35 am Damn, that's nice. Very unusual to see one with a bayonet blade. Most have swedge blades. Very unusual and attractive horn, too.

I have a copy of that patent. It was filed in 1959 and, if I'm reading it right, was first used in 1960. I have one in lacquered stag with a swedge blade and leafspring that appears to have been made in the same shop as yours. The build quality is every bit as good as that of my vintage picklocks.
Thanks again Rick! I truly admire you looking into the history of these pieces. Thank you! These are off the beaten path pieces for sure. Please, feel free to post yours here...I'd love to see it!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Welcome, Chris. As I may have mentioned, I've been collecting antique slipjoints for around 30 years. There are a lot of counterfeits in that area, some very convincing, so you really have to do your homework to avoid getting burned. Sometimes, it almost feels like doing forensic analysis! Anyway, the research habit tends to stick around.

I think I posted these previously, but it's fun to compare two humpbacks with the same patent number in the same thread. The little un-stamped 7" Mauro Mario picklock can serve as a size comparison. I assume that yours has a D-stamped liner and two-piece spring as well?

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...I'll take them both Rick! lol...Un-real pieces you have there and thanks for adding them! Your research has proven amazing. Now, not sure the bayo blade matters, but I've heard these also date back to the 1950's. Any thoughts on blade grinds and dates?

Corvus

Post by Corvus »

"Any thoughts on blade grinds and dates?"

Nope - not a clue, but I'll see what I can find.

Almost forgot: my Humpback is an 8 incher.

Oh, and FWIW, you can tell a coil-sprung Humpback from a leaf-sprung version at a glance by looking at the locktap. Coil-sprung versions have no hole or locking pin.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Corvus wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:16 am "Any thoughts on blade grinds and dates?"

Nope - not a clue, but I'll see what I can find.

Almost forgot: my Humpback is an 8 incher.

Oh, and FWIW, you can tell a coil-sprung Humpback from a leaf-sprung version at a glance by looking at the locktap. Coil-sprung versions have no hole or locking pin.
Ahh yes. You just reminded me of the solid (no hole) locktabs I've seen.

portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Damn that is gorgeous!
Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

Corvus wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:40 am Welcome, Chris. As I may have mentioned, I've been collecting antique slipjoints for around 30 years. There are a lot of counterfeits in that area, some very convincing, so you really have to do your homework to avoid getting burned. Sometimes, it almost feels like doing forensic analysis! Anyway, the research habit tends to stick around.

I think I posted these previously, but it's fun to compare two humpbacks with the same patent number in the same thread. The little un-stamped 7" Mauro Mario picklock can serve as a size comparison. I assume that yours has a D-stamped liner and two-piece spring as well?

Nice Patent info, you must have searched hard and paid a lot of money to obtain the high resolution scans of it.

;)
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Nope. Found it in a Google search and thought it might be helpful. If you're the original source of the document it's much appreciated.
Maltese flatguard

Corvus wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:20 pm Nope. Found it in a Google search and thought it might be helpful. If you're the original source of the document it's much appreciated.
That’s cool. I saw it posted here a month ago then that thread was taken down. It’s a good idea to post sources for info otherwise it’s like stealing uncredited. Some authors in this hobby have been known for that and it’s really very sad, so it’s wise to keep things on the up and up. Nothing better than giving credit where credit is due.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

:roll:
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

whippersnapper wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:01 am:roll:
...That's what I was thinking!

Maltese flatguard

JulesVane wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:51 am
whippersnapper wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:01 am:roll:
...That's what I was thinking!
Me too! :roll:
boblees812

Post by boblees812 »

:roll: