Omega Import Co. 7"

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Omega Import Co. 7"

Post by JulesVane »

I can't begin to tell you guys how hard it is on this forum to search history on an Omega piece, when we have a member named Omega (Chris) lol. Here's my latest 7" Omega Import Co. . Any history is very welcomed....

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
thom

Re: Omega Import Co. 7"

Post by thom »

Cool little knife. After seeing Bill polish/restore an older knife, I would like to see the horn on this one after being polished. I don't know a lot about the older knives, would that devalue this knife?
Thom
boblees812

Post by boblees812 »

Wow '' Great knife.. Never seen Omega with the large letters like that.. Very cool
galvanic1882

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great knife! I would not polish it though.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Sweet!
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Chris, I saw that one on your Instagram page and fell in love with it. What a great little knife! I wouldn't touch it, personally. The aged horn and even patina are beautiful. And what a classy stamp!

As far as I can tell, Omega Import Co. (also Omega Jewelry and Leather Novelty Co.) was one of the post-war stamps used by the Coltellerie Riunite di Caslino e Maniago cooperative (Coricama, and previously Colt Riun) owned at the time by Gebruder Krusius of Solingen, so it was probably made by the same group of cutlers who made your Panamex.
Last edited by Corvus on Sat May 04, 2019 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Rick, I really appreciate that! Thank you so much for taking the time for that info..Really great of you!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Great find Chris ... that little guy is stunning
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Wow Chris 8)

Love that Omega blade stamp .

Thats a lovely little rare knife ,and in nice good untouched condition .

Great find mate.

gravknife
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

hey Chris,that is one sweet old picklock,I like it ALOT,try just to keep it as is.
Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

Hi what is your Instagram name, I’m always searching on there for knife collectors but never find much ?

Cheers
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Lucentcrow wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:45 am Hi what is your Instagram name, I’m always searching on there for knife collectors but never find much ?

Cheers
Gee, I'm pretty sure it's the same as here lol. JulesVane ?

Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

JulesVane wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:02 am I can't begin to tell you guys how hard it is on this forum to search history on an Omega piece, when we have a member named Omega (Chris) lol. Here's my latest 7" Omega Import Co. . Any history is very welcomed....

Someone showed that knife listing to me, it’s awesome. Omegas are some of my favorites and this version of the stamp is the hardest to find of theirs. The company changed the name slightly in 1950 and shortened it to Omega Import Co.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Maltese flatguard. So, the stamps I've seen somewhat like: Omega Leather & Novelty (something like that), were PRE- 1950? Seems there would be more 1950+ Omegas available stamped like this than the 1940's pieces.

Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

JulesVane wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:24 pm Thanks Maltese flatguard. So, the stamps I've seen somewhat like: Omega Leather & Novelty (something like that), were PRE- 1950? Seems there would be more 1950+ Omegas available stamped like this than the 1940's pieces.
The ones with Omega Jewelry and Leather Novelty Co stamp would have been no earlier than about 1949. Then the switch in November of 1950 to Omega Import Co and then by March of 1954 Switchblades were banned in NY. Even as early as 1952 bans in NYC and NJ were being put into action.