Coupla Vintage Pickers

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Corvus

Coupla Vintage Pickers

Post by Corvus »

A 28cm Rosco and a 23cm S.M.Co., both original, minty, unsharpened and uncleaned, far as I can tell, though the Rosco has a bug bite adjacent to the safety slot. The Rosco has a hint o' blade play and the S.M.Co. is tight as new; not a hint of wiggle, which is a first for me when it comes to vintage stilettos.

thom

Re: Coupla Vintage Pickers

Post by thom »

Both really nice knives. Any idea of the year made?
Last edited by thom on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Absolutely gorgeous Rick! I love them both!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

The look great, except for the third one.
2024 candidate for president
sprink

Post by sprink »

Wow. they are both spectacular ! Thanks for the eye candy
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Thanks guys.
thom wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:53 pm Both really nice knives. Any idea of the year made?
The Rosco was made by the Mauro Mario group, probably on the late side of their 1948-19[edit]56 production period. Dunno who supplied knives for S.M.Co, but it looks like another Mauro Mario to me. If anyone can narrow that down, please do.
Last edited by Corvus on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Super knives Corvus 8)

They are in beautiful condition.You cant beat vintage when they are like that.

Great score mate.

gravknife
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Those are gorgeous.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

Corvus, they are my kind of picklocks,and I just sold two Rosco's,but I have some more,but not for sale.
galvanic1882

Post by galvanic1882 »

Beautiful knives!! Thanks for showing them.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Corvus wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:31 am Thanks guys.

The Rosco was made by the Mauro Mario group, probably on the late side of their 1948-1958 production period. Dunno who supplied knives for S.M.Co, but it looks like another Mauro Mario to me. If anyone can narrow that down, please do.
Rick, I agree. That's one of the things I'm learning myself on attempting to grow my vintage collection. They're ALL Mauro Mario!! :lol: It doesn't appear I'm collecting different knives, but collecting the same knives with only different tang stamps. This has been pretty confusing to me. Like you said: ROSCO being made by Mauro Mario, but the price of a ROSCO is double (or more) than a Mauro Mario. Don't mind my "logic", I'm just new at this! :lol: I've just come to the conclusion that it's the importer that placed the smallest order, makes them the rarest (and priced as such).

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

JulesVane wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:59 pm
Corvus wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:31 am Thanks guys.

The Rosco was made by the Mauro Mario group, probably on the late side of their 1948-1958 production period. Dunno who supplied knives for S.M.Co, but it looks like another Mauro Mario to me. If anyone can narrow that down, please do.
Rick, I agree. That's one of the things I'm learning myself on attempting to grow my vintage collection. They're ALL Mauro Mario!! :lol: It doesn't appear I'm collecting different knives, but collecting the same knives with only different tang stamps. This has been pretty confusing to me. Like you said: ROSCO being made by Mauro Mario, but the price of a ROSCO is double (or more) than a Mauro Mario. Don't mind my "logic", I'm just new at this! :lol: I've just come to the conclusion that it's the importer that placed the smallest order, makes them the rarest (and priced as such).
Yep. I've read that the Mauro Mario group built at least 50% of the Golden Age stilettos, and probably the lion's share of picklocks through the '50s. Collecting vintage stilettos is a lot like collecting, e.g., baseball cards: the pictures vary, but when it comes right down to it, they're all pretty much the same ink pounded into the same ground-up trees. We collectively agree that certain tang stamps have greater value based solely on scarcity and mystique, but aside from a few limited production runs and prototypes from the '40s, the perceived value doesn't appear to correlate with empirical quality.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

SMCo. is a Mauro Mario knife.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

fastr19 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:06 pm SMCo. is a Mauro Mario knife.
Really? Another Mauro Mario stamp? I knew (read) that GC Co (Guttman Cutlery Co. of NY) was. But, not this one. Heck...they're all Mauro Mario I guess! :lol: I keep telling my wife: You don't need Louis Vuitton and Coach handbags. Go to Walmart and get a nice $20 pocketbook. They're made by the same group of Asian kids anyway! But, she won't listen either! :lol:

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I just sold an 13" G.C. Co. (Guttmann) that was made by Mauro Mario.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.