Mikov Re-Scale by JTK

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Luke_of_Mass

Mikov Re-Scale by JTK

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

The story of this knife actually begins in July 2018, when I seriously underestimated the distance from my hometown in Western MA to Portland, ME. The NCCA was putting on a show in Portland for the first (and in hindsight probably the last) time, and by golly I wanted to hit it up for the inaugural date.

What I expected to be a 2.5 hour drive turned into a 3.5 hour marathon and it wasn't until I saw the small size of the show itself that I began to really curse the drive back that awaited me. There were perhaps a dozen tables there, tops... with a grand total of perhaps three autos, tops.....

The only two Italian picklocks at the entire show were under glass at a perpetually un-manned table, and sadly I never got to see them. The third and final auto that I was able to find was a Mikov -- the older type with the single spring -- grouped with a huge selection of more artistic-looking non-auto Damascus folders. The table was manned by an awfully kind gentlemen who supposedly runs some type of cutlery museum somewhere in upstate New York. After about 30 minutes of shooting the breeze about knives, I went to check out the few other tables there were left to see, as there were others behind me waiting to talk to him. About 15 minutes later, thoroughly disenchanted with this show, with the exception of the table with the Mikov, I decided I wasn't going to drive a total of 7 hours to not buy anything. So I went back to counter his original price of $60 with $50, and just like that, the Mikov was mine. Only once I got to the car did I notice the crack in the basic cheap ABS scale...

Wanting to forget the entire experience, I then proceeded to toss it into a side compartment of my backpack, and hit the road.

Fast-forward nigh-7 months later, and I am making my way through airport security in Hartford, CT on my way to the Gator show when the same backpack is pulled from the screening line, and a security guard wants to speak with me.

"Anything sharp or pointy in your bag, sir?"

"I've got a razor."

"I'm not talking about a razor, buddy. What's this?"

She pulls out that damn cracked Mikov out of my bag and I get in about a year's worth of cardio in 2 seconds flat. I told her I was genuinely sorry and that I totally forgot that it was in my bag. It was, after all, the truth, not that I expected her to believe it. Nevertheless I was entirely stupefied at the fact that I was not already being thrown to the ground and cuffed, never to make it to Gator. Likely never to fly again, perhaps. I told her to just keep the knife, and that I was again terribly sorry. She looked at me, looked at the knife and said "Sir, this looks like an awfully nice knife... and there's a store just before the security check that mails things like this... are you sure you don't want to go back? You'd just need to go through security again..." Still in shock at not already being airlifted to prison, I told her to keep it again. She said "well.. if you're sure... say how does this even open..?" At that point my mind goes on auto-pilot and I blurt out "You know, maybe I should mail that..." She then proceeded to walk me to the security exit and handed me the knife back. "Once your done mailing it, go ahead and go through the 'priority' line, that way you won't have to wait all over again!" :shock:

It cost a total of $14 to mail it back to MA. Great, I thought. A $50 mistake turned into a $64 investment. Like hell if I'll be able to re-sell it for comparable money with that cracked scale. I made myself feel better by reminding myself that I could be in jail right now, and that the $14 shipping charge should be the least of my worries. Besides I still had a plane I was lucky enough to be able to catch. Still in shock at being able to fly on this day, I re-screened and made it to the terminal.

Strangely, the Marios I bought at Gator actually beat the Mikov home. Strange how the USPS works sometimes. Anyway, after telling some folks about my experience, it became clear that this "bad luck Mikov" was, in fact, really, really good luck. I then proceeded to look into re-scaling the piece. First I asked David at Mikovknives.com if I could send it to the Czech Republic to get some dark horn put on, only to hear that this repair wouldn't be economical and I'd be better off buying a new knife. I then went about finding someone stateside who might be able to re-scale it, and a fellow at Gator told me about someone named JTK who does a lot of custom work for them. Well, I came on talkblade and PortlandMike told me who he was on here, and the rest is history. David of Mikovknives supplied the walnut scales, and Jim put 'em on and sanded them for me... with Nickle Silver pins I might add... as well as a total replacement of the pivot pin, also in Nickle Silver! What a treat!

TL;DR in a strange twist of events, this generic, cracked, bad-luck Mikov turned into a good-luck charm and a quite handsome piece in its own right! Well, it's either good luck or I just had a guardian angel over my shoulder; maybe both!

So here she is, the final product- some top-notch re-scale work by JTK!

Thanks Jim, Mike, David, and the kind security guard who didn't arrest me. And thanks to everyone else for reading,

Luke of Mass
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
thom

Re: Mikov Re-Scale by JTK

Post by thom »

great story and better knife.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

What a great story... say, how does this open? :shock: I would of left something in my pants right there...

that's a great looking knife Luke

Mike
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Wow Luke, what a story and lucky you! Jeremy really did a nice job and made that Mikov look much sturdier/solid.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

Great story I enjoyed that, lovely work done by Jeremy
What a difference the scales make.
Jay Blade

Post by Jay Blade »

Good story there, but I'm lovin' that Mikov, one brand I'd like to add into my modest collection. Great job by all who helped in this, especially Jeremy for such a nice job!
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Great story, Luke!
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
kugr

Post by kugr »

I do love the stories you all have! That rescale is gorgeous! I now feel my mikov, with the crappy black plastic scales, needs a facelift...
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

kugr wrote:I do love the stories you all have! That rescale is gorgeous! I now feel my mikov, with the crappy black plastic scales, needs a facelift...
If there is nothing wrong with the current scales, I would recommend just selling the plastic one and buying the one with the scales you like.

If you are looking for a stag one, I have one I was going to sell.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

Luke,as you where telling me on the phone the other day about that mikov at the airport,you are very lucky,look's sweet now,I have I think 7 mikov's, i have 2 that have only one spring,btw take care of your foot.
kugr

Post by kugr »

JimBrown257 wrote:
kugr wrote:I do love the stories you all have! That rescale is gorgeous! I now feel my mikov, with the crappy black plastic scales, needs a facelift...
If there is nothing wrong with the current scales, I would recommend just selling the plastic one and buying the one with the scales you like.

If you are looking for a stag one, I have one I was going to sell.
I have this terrible problem... I can't seem to even begin to think about selling one of my autos... that's probably why I have 40 or so stilettos in just a few months...
Thank you for the offer, but I couldn't buy a new knife if I wanted... all my funds are tied up in a house and land purchase... hence the reason I'm selling alot of old folders on ebay. Need to feed my auto addiction!!!
kugr

Post by kugr »

I do love my mikov... just wish it wasn't so freaking big!
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Love my stag mikov
Attachments
D00BBE83-04B6-4695-AF22-3D4A1C7EBD7C.jpeg
D00BBE83-04B6-4695-AF22-3D4A1C7EBD7C.jpeg (87.2 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
B4D637CA-29F9-45FD-B495-01406BB90C2F.jpeg
B4D637CA-29F9-45FD-B495-01406BB90C2F.jpeg (93.19 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
360172C0-CFBF-4A7B-8986-0F79F19D55E9.jpeg
360172C0-CFBF-4A7B-8986-0F79F19D55E9.jpeg (93.8 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
kugr

Post by kugr »

That does look awesome......