Seeking info on a transitional piece

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Luke_of_Mass

Seeking info on a transitional piece

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Greetings!

A while ago I acquired this piece from a buddy of mine (you know who you are :wink: ) and since it's the only older piece I own that remains a bit of an enigma, I thought I'd reach out to the folks here for some possible info I may not already have...

For starters: it's a 9'' Swedge-blade swivel bolster marked "Rostfrie Import" with nickel silver hardware, small pins, red dot on horn scales, with fully-lined S-guards.

What I believe I do know is that it's from the 60's and possibly made for the German market, hence Rostfrie, before making its way to the united states at some point. While I know this stamp designates a rough time period, I was hoping some other physical characteristics of the knife itself could help someone pinpoint a possible maker... it seems like who was making knives in Maniago after 1958 is quite a bit more hazy than, say, the "golden age" or even the 90's.

So here's the pics...

So what do you guys think? and what particular companies were in operation during this time? Yes I know it's a cottege industry and everyone shares parts, ect. but it would be nice to have a basic idea of which shop the final product came from...

Any help is much appreciated! Many thanks!

Luke
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
JimBrown257

Re: Seeking info on a transitional piece

Post by JimBrown257 »

The Rostfrei stamp doesn't mean much, it wouldn't necessarily mean it was meant for the Germans and doesn't give you any idea about the age. I think they just thought that version of "stainless" sounded cool. There doesn't seem to be any pattern on how they used Stainless or Inox or Inoxid or Rostfrei. The only thing I have noticed is that "Stainless" more often than not indicates a Japanese knife. A few of the later Italian ones had "Stainless" but it seems like the vast majority of Japanese knives say "Stainless". They knew who was buying their sh!t.

Does your knife have D-stamps?
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

No, no D-stamps, just n/s bolsters button and safety, fully-lined s-guards, so I'm assuming it's older since they hadn't switched to stainless steel or zinc alloy bolsters yet...
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Luke

I believe the IMPORT mark was for knives imported to Britain but I cant back it up with evidence.
It was mentioned on a post somewhere and I would like to know more about the Import marking myself.

I have two knives that have all the transitional traits and the D stamp liners,one marked IMPORT ,the other C.Jul Herbertz IMPORT 2 and they are just beautiful build quality .Both have the red dot safeties like your example.
They are from the 60s to 70s.

I like your a knife a lot ...you have been getting some really nice scores lately mate.

Hope you are well

gravknife
Attachments
20180711_091928.jpg
20180711_091928.jpg (342.98 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
20180711_091349.jpg
20180711_091349.jpg (703.78 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
DSC_0017.jpg
DSC_0017.jpg (489.08 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
DSC_0016 (1).jpg
DSC_0016 (1).jpg (355.14 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Thanks for the reply with the info! Too bad knives don't come with a title history showing the names, dates, and locations of previous owners the way an airplane of locomotive might... something like that would be like the "Where's George?" money tracker on steroids and be downright epic :lol:

Those are some mighty fine pieces you've got there too amigo - the Swedge blade common on knives of this era are way more uncommon than they should be these days. One of these days I hope someone will make an homage to the early-60's transitional the way they brought back picklocks - fully lined Swivel bolsters with N/S hardware, red dots and swedge blades. Would it work from a business standpoint the way Walt's stuff has taken on its respective following? Probably not. But I'd be in (the probably short) line to buy a few.

Cheers mate, also great to see no constable has raided your abode like you feared last summer.. cherish those pieces! :)