An old kissing crane - i want to know more about.

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Marci0015

An old kissing crane - i want to know more about.

Post by Marci0015 »

I got from my father an old knife. This knife have no numbers or any logos, even have no emblem on handle (like other kissing cranes). Do somebody knows what's model is it? Year of production? Or something? Price is too interesting.
Pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/DS2mOBh
P.s. sorry but i dont know how to upload pics in different way, pics are too large.
JulesVane

Re: An old kissing crane - i want to know more about.

Post by JulesVane »

Hi Marc...you say you got this knife from your Father. With no markings, how do you know it's a Kissing Crane? I'm kinda' confused with the sentence "Price is too interesting" as well. What price?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Marci0015

Post by Marci0015 »

Im not sure but it just look like others KC and look identically like knife in this post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26223
Price... I just mean the value of this knife, maybe its a collection stuff?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

This is the Kissing Crane stamp that I'm somewhat familiar with, though I'm not aware of what year(s) it was used.

...The two manual lockback stilettos you've provided links to, appear Italian made clip point grinds with the generic stamp of Rostfrei- meaning Rust Free/Stainless Steel. I would check values online. Some do collect manual lockback stilettos.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Your knife was made in Maniago, Italy- as were the Kissing Crane stilettos.
Yours is unmarked-so it's a manual Italian stiletto.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

If I am not mistaken, that is an 11". If it is, then it's actually pretty rare. For some reason they didn't make a lot of 11" manuals with wood & brass. I don't think there are any with a Kissing Crane stamp or logo. There was an urban legend that they stopped making that size KC after some bad publicity in the OJ case but I have never seen an 11" KC from before that either. And I think the knife that was briefly suspected to be OJ's weapon was a 13".

While it is rare, that sharpening is going to cut the value down significantly.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The OJ knife was a 15", made by Angelo Campolin, Sr.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Was the OJ knife ever found?
2024 candidate for president
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Bill is spot on. OJ had turned in a 15" KC. For some reason KC did not have 11" models made for them. There are lots of 11" Made in Italy ones out there, and wood is rare in 11" but also in most of the Italy models as I assume demand was low for wood.....
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Yes, that is right; OJ had bought a KC45, which was a 14.5" model. That knife was briefly suspected to be the murder weapon. The 13" is the other large size of KC they made, which is the KC49.

It sure is weird they never made an 11" KC and there are hardly any 11" wood & brass manuals out there. It seems like the one size they would make. There are a few 10" W&B manuals that are rare but not as rare as the 11" (based on what I have seen). There are even some 11" manual W&B swingers out there. Those are the ones that have the round dents in the middle of all the bolsters.

Anyways, is that knife in the OP an 11" or is it longer?