New additions, F.B.R, Latama, herbertz, rizzutos, and misc.

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kugr

New additions, F.B.R, Latama, herbertz, rizzutos, and misc.

Post by kugr »

Close up pictures upon request.
The latama is in seriously bad shape.
The orange acrylic on confuses me.
The shell pullers are confusing also, the 2nd pin in the bottom bolster. I'm guessing fakes.

Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: New additions, F.B.R, Latama, herbertz, rizzutos, and misc.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The shell pullers are not fake. They are older Massaro models. One of the pins holds the spring in place.
The two on the far right are Chinese.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Thank you Bill, when googling "old/vintage" shell pullers, all the pictures showed single pins. It just got me wondering... Thank you for identifying them, I couldn't for the life of me figure out who might have made the black one, since I already have one... if I post some more pictures of the latama, would you weigh in on if it can be some what restored?
kugr

Post by kugr »

Edit- removed unnecessary pictures.
Last edited by kugr on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't really need more pictures.
While it can be made to look a lot better, it will never look really good. Restoration would be expensive, too.
The blade is in bad shape, and someone has drilled the sear hole out for some reason.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
kugr

Post by kugr »

I noticed the drilled out sear hole also... If it was yours, is it something you would restore?
kugr

Post by kugr »

Oh, the orange one confuses me... it has the hallmarks of italian. But it has a screw (chicago style?) pivot, and that rivet pin under the safety... which follows in line with the taiwan/chinese junk... was it a kit?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No, I would not.
The orange one appears to be a FB "Switch" model. They use Zamak parts.
Or, it could just be set up for a screw pivot. It is Italian.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

kugr wrote:Oh, the orange one confuses me... it has the hallmarks of italian. But it has a screw (chicago style?) pivot, and that rivet pin under the safety... which follows in line with the taiwan/chinese junk... was it a kit?
I have a knife very much like that one. I got it from Frank B some years ago, but I am not sure he actually made it. Probably he got it from another maker to round out his product line just like what other makers did.

It is a convertible, manual to auto. The rivet under the safety is a removable pin that keeps the kick spring in place, but that spring can easily be removed if necessary by drifting out the pin. The slotted pivot is not original to the knife, but a repair or replacement.
Attachments
20190124_230710_resized (1).jpg
20190124_230710_resized (1).jpg (486.7 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Interesting way to describe the three on the right. I always just considered them "kits", but looking at them as "convertibles " puts them in a different light. I guess I get a little tunnel vision at times. Thanks...

Taz
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

natcherly wrote:
kugr wrote:Oh, the orange one confuses me... it has the hallmarks of italian. But it has a screw (chicago style?) pivot, and that rivet pin under the safety... which follows in line with the taiwan/chinese junk... was it a kit?
I have a knife very much like that one. I got it from Frank B some years ago, but I am not sure he actually made it. Probably he got it from another maker to round out his product line just like what other makers did.

It is a convertible, manual to auto. The rivet under the safety is a removable pin that keeps the kick spring in place, but that spring can easily be removed if necessary by drifting out the pin. The slotted pivot is not original to the knife, but a repair or replacement.
I had one like it and it was an edge co.
2024 candidate for president