New addition, manual picklock

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kugr

New addition, manual picklock

Post by kugr »

I liked the color of the scales, sadly, a photographer I am not...

Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
JimBrown257

Re: New addition, manual picklock

Post by JimBrown257 »

What's the deal with the alteration on the blade near the pivot?
kugr

Post by kugr »

That's a good question, didnt even notice it. Also the pins are ground flat... possible rescale? Here are some closer pics of the blade and handle.

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

It looks like the kind of notch you see on a backspring o/c. Maybe someone was trying to do something with that blade but gave up and put it back on that handle.

As for the pins, it looks like they are flush with the scale because the scale is warping up at the ends. So the heads aren't lower than normal; the scale is just a little higher there.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Take a look at this. This is a close up of that "middle" section. That looks to me liked sheared/broken metal. Thoughts?
As for the pins, most are flush, no doming (sp?).
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Now that I look at those back scale pins again, I think they might have been dealt with. But I don't think it was a rescale; I think someone might have hammered them hoping to tighten the scale where it was warping up. If the blade was taken off at some point (which it was) then they very likely had the other two pins out and would have been able to get at the scale pins.

As for that spot in the close up, that is the outside of the backspring, right? It looks like whoever put that notch on the blade also did something on the backspring. How deep is that cut? And do you see anything there on the other side of it?
kugr

Post by kugr »

That's a picture of the inside, I did some q-tip cleaning... let me see if I can get a better picture
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

How high up on the backspring is that spot?
kugr

Post by kugr »

That's a picture of the inside, I did some q-tip cleaning... let me see if I can get a better picture. They are roughly 1/8" deep. Oh, there's also a slightly flattened bolster...
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Now that I see it all, it looks like that might be a two-piece spring from an auto with part of the kick spring still in there. If the cut is 1/8" deep, I think you are looking at the top of the kickspring part that is left.

Can you take one of the backspring pins out to pivot the backspring out so we can get a better look at what is going on?
kugr

Post by kugr »

Not a conversion, you can see in the last pictures...
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Lol, that is just a normal backspring. The pics looking into the handle made that part look more severe than it really was.

And you see that little hump just below the locktab. I think that is to keep the blade from going in too far so you can't get your nail on the nick. I guess that part on the blade might have been put there because it was pushing the blade out too far or something.
kugr

Post by kugr »

The "locktab nub" haha, doesn't even come close to that "divet". Whoever did it used the EBM method (eye ball method). The divet is at the front end of the bolster, the nub is to the rear of the bolster.... in fact, it looks like something I could screw up doing. Well, now that we've come this far.... any point in keeping it a manual?
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

This is great reading .. hope you go conversion.

Mike
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

kugr wrote:The "locktab nub" haha, doesn't even come close to that "divet". Whoever did it used the EBM method (eye ball method). The divet is at the front end of the bolster, the nub is to the rear of the bolster
It might not be for that reason then.

As for converting it, I would say that you wouldn't want to convert a vintage knife but because it has already been altered, it probably won't matter. It might be a good one to try converting. I don't think I'd try to make your own rocker on this one. Just use a modern button piece and see if you can do it.