Proposal for a lion figure dirk

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Proposal for a lion figure dirk

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I bought a couple of manual dirks from a friend with the intention of cannibalizing them for their nickel silver bolsters and creating a nice switchblade. Here's what I've come up with for the first one. Note, I drew in the bolster and pommel just to get a perimeter and some pertinent dimensions. The bolster in my drawings doesn't look correct, it will be better when we use the real thing.

This is an Ole Smoky manual with really interesting bolsters, otherwise meh. It's a hefty 11.2 oz. (317,5 g) with a 4-7/8" x 1/8" (12,4 cm X 3 mm) thick sabre blade and about 11-1/8" (28,2 sm) long overall.

I'm planning on 13-1/8" (33,3 cm) long with 6" (15,2) by 4mm blade and moving the lockback toward the pommel. I'm thinking of a parabolic bayonet with a mid-point false edge and exposed rocker. It looks a lot straighter now. Since the blade is a bit over 3/4" (2 cm) wide this should have a fairly good cutting edge. The lockback will react in 1/16" (1,5 mm) of movement and the extra pin in the bolster will keep the friction down and prevent the tail end of the lock from rising up. If I do some Damascus and dyed bone, it should look pretty sweet. I may stay with high polish, may add filework. Ask me again in six months when I can afford to pursue the idea.

This measures a bit over 2-3/4" (7 cm) from tip to tip. I will likely have to fill and redrill the pivot hole.

The Lion Dirk takes its name from these great pommels, again some filling and redrilling is probably necessary.

This is the open view with internal parts shown and rocker in fire position.

This is the closed view with internals and rocker shown in resting position.

Open external view, rocker shown fired.

Closed external view, rocker shown resting.

That's it for today. As always your comments, questions and criticisms are greatly appreciated.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Re: Proposal for a lion figure dirk

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks like a winner.
2024 candidate for president