Rizzy-No Stamp-No Pins

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Rizzy-No Stamp-No Pins

Post by JulesVane »

Evening all...This 9" piece is not stamped REM, but obviously is one. I've seen them unstamped before. I've seen them with 4 pins (front) and with 1 pin. But, I can't recall any with no pins at all. I think maybe the Korean versions might not have had pins, but I'm fairly sure this is the Japanese version. Seems a bit "beefier" (wider/heavier) than the only 2 other 9" stamped Rizzys I have. Bale is smooth, non-decorative and I'm getting no magnetic reaction to the button. Good snap- no peek. Possibly, JimBrown will tune in and enlighten me....Thanks for looking....

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JimBrown257

Re: Rizzy-No Stamp-No Pins

Post by JimBrown257 »

That is a Korean Bell one. While it is a flimsy knife compared to most other knives, it is better than some of the other Bells. The ones with the bumpy scales but no Korea stamp are really flimsy. The button is solid brass (usually they are nickle plated but the one you have looks like just brass). The rocker is steel on these ones so you don't have to worry about it breaking. Some of these ones have SS bolsters and some have bolsters that are nickle plated. Yours looks plated so be sure to NEVER polish them. The plating on these comes off pretty easily and leaves a purplish smear that will drive you crazy. It looks like the guards on yours might be solid NS.

This is the hardest Rizzuto to work on because it is assembled like a vintage American where the pivot is a hollow tube that is just peened to the liners. That brass pin going through the bolsters is just to hold the guards & bolsters on. And while Japanese Rizzutos have really soft steel, these ones have rock hard steel. It is good because it prevents eventual peeking but if you need to straighten the blade or reduce blade play, it is virtually impossible without doing stuff to the steel that is more trouble than it is worth.

One thing that is weird/annoying about these ones is the guards are almost always notably lopsided because the hole on the blade is too high. Ideally, you would just drill the hole on the guards higher but you can't do this one these because if you put the hole on the guards higher, they prevent the blade from closing all the way (see how the guards are right against the liners when the blade is closed). The only way to fix that would have been if they made the liners a little bit longer above the pivot. Or I guess you could sand some of the left side off the handle.

Another thing that is a little different about these is they are the only Korean ones that don't have the little extra metal coming out at the bottom (the peak blocker thing).
JulesVane

Re: Rizzy-No Stamp-No Pins

Post by JulesVane »

Thank you so much Jeremy. I would have never even guessed this being a Korean model. I'm use to seeing those with the textured scales and peak thingy (which I dislike VERY much). I'm glad I can snap this one a bit without fearing it's very last snap (for now). Thanks again!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)