M ITALY over INOX 9" Kriss Picklock

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

M ITALY over INOX 9" Kriss Picklock

Post by JulesVane »

Hi all. Newly acquired piece here I had some questions about: M ITALY over INOX in an oval, I understand was made by Mauro Mario(?). I'm assuming some time in the 1950's, probably the later part(?). I don't recall seeing many in Stag scales, thus my biggest question was this rescaled? Though the Stag "seems" to be older, I guess it could have been rescaled long ago. I probably wouldn't be too concerned, but as can be seen in one of the last pictures, the hole around the button has quite a space around it. Thanks for looking and any input/info...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: M ITALY over INOX 9" Kriss Picklock

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yep- it's a bad rescale/rebuild.
Pins should not be ground flush. Button hole is wrong. Blade buffed quite a bit.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thank you for your reply Bill.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
thom

Post by thom »

Nice, really like the Kris blade. But is it a MM? Curios myself, I just bought a 13" with same stamp. Stag and Kris.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

thom wrote:Nice, really like the Kris blade. But is it a MM? Curios myself, I just bought a 13" with same stamp. Stag and Kris.
Thom, 'ya know, I read on another forum how common the Mauro Mario stamp was, and wondered why I haven't been exactly tripping over their availability. But, it appears, that Mauro Mario, producing 100,000 switchblades a year in their hay-day of the 1950's, put out MANY stamps. I have read that this is just one of those many. Thanks Thom!

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

thom wrote:Nice, really like the Kris blade. But is it a MM? Curios myself, I just bought a 13" with same stamp. Stag and Kris.
Thom, I must retract my thoughts on whether this is a Mauro Mario stamp. Though I have heard it multiple times, though I have read it with my own eyes, there seems to be much controversy. Appears my sense of hearing and seeing cannot be trusted, even by myself. So, I don't want to pass along any bad info...

Page 98 of Switchblades of Italy:

...as I've stated before, reading comprehension has never been my thing lol.

thom

Post by thom »

Well that really cleared it up. lol. I guess you never really know.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

In about 5 days, another researcher will be on here. Seems his life's mission is to disprove as much SOI information as possible. He thinks it makes him important. Maybe it does.
This is why I never wrote a switchblade book- though I have consulted on a few. I personally never wanted to do the research necessary. I'll leave that up to the people that like to do it. I'll read the books and repair the knives.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
thom

Post by thom »

Bill, I have been keeping up with your ongoing saga. I don't pay attention to stamps as much as how I like the knife. I read the other post(s) after I responded to this one.
Bill, So the M.Italy stamp could be made by Mauro Mario or not???
I was too amused with orangeboys responses to pay attention to the answer.
Thom
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

He won't say for sure. I believe they were-until evidence proves otherwise.
The guys that wrote SOI went to Maniago and interviewed Grandpa Angelo and others. I was invited to go on the trip with them, but I declined.