8'' LATAMA / Patent 35958 Kris Picklock

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Luke_of_Mass

8'' LATAMA / Patent 35958 Kris Picklock

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

About 2 weeks ago now, I was on the phone with a great guy named Eric (rock-n-roll$$$$$$) talkin' about anything and everything, this crazy honey business I've gotten into with my bees, The Rolling Stones, and my recent misfortune with Walt's new 9'' half-grinds. With the new "Latamas" leaving me with an awful taste in my mouth and a situation I'm keen to clean my hands of, I figured I'd have a go at a real Latama... and Eric hooked me the hell UP!

After a fat stack (though not as fat as what I burned on the three new Latamas) and a big jar of honey changed hands, this little gem arrived! As the title states, it's a slick little 8'' kris picklock with pristine dark horn scales and a nigh-perfect never-sharpened blade. I'm assuming it's had some restoration work done because knives this old rarely look this good:

It's got the LATAMA ITALY stamp on the front and the also desirable "Patent 35958" stamp on the rear:

The scales, totally bite-free, appear to have once had a red dot safety - evidenced by the shallow well drilled at the top of the safety slide.

The only thing about this knife... slight peek! But, naturally, being the stand-up guy Eric is, he warned me of this, and to me peeking on a 60+ year old knife is far more acceptable than one built a few months ago...!

So what do you guys think? Shall I attempt to get the peeking fixed? Paint in the red-dot? has anyone else here happened to own this knife previously? Let me know!

And a big thanks to Eric - while all the knives you've sold me thus far aren't knives I can see myself parting with, this is by far the most special!

Cheers from MA
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
sammy the blade

Re: 8'' LATAMA / Patent 35958 Kris Picklock

Post by sammy the blade »

That's a looker! If it was mine as nice at it is I'd get the peak fixed.
2024 candidate for president
boblees812

Post by boblees812 »

Great old knife .. Good for you, I think I would have Bill or PLP fix the peek
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Home Run Luke! I had recently missed out on Eric's Mauro Mario sale to my regret. But, THIS is just outstanding! I believe I had asked about that hole, or indentation at the top end of the safety in another thread on other vintage pieces and was told it was drilled to start the safety slit cut. So, your knife may very well just be original without the red dot (certainly worth researching). Good for you for leaning toward the vintage collecting. I'm with 'ya! If that peak can be fixed, I'd sure have it done (if it were me). Beautiful!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sprink

Post by sprink »

Wow ! what a great score , have yet to add 1 to my collection but definitely on list .
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

JulesVane wrote:Home Run Luke! I had recently missed out on Eric's Mauro Mario sale to my regret. But, THIS is just outstanding! I believe I had asked about that hole, or indentation at the top end of the safety in another thread on other vintage pieces and was told it was drilled to start the safety slit cut. So, your knife may very well just be original without the red dot (certainly worth researching). Good for you for leaning toward the vintage collecting. I'm with 'ya! If that peak can be fixed, I'd sure have it done (if it were me). Beautiful!
ah, I "missed" that Mauro Mario sale too, if I had gotten that one, I wouldn't have the cash for this.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

Luke , I thank you for the kind word's,glad you like the Latama,take good care of it,and I thank you all for the positive feedback.Eric
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Beautiful old Latama. And holy mother of cr@p what great condition! Congrats, Luke.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Real stunning knife Luke. 8)

Im glad you got it, and its in real great condition .
I only have the older knives but no Latamas unfortunately ....... the cream of the oldies imho.

When they look like the one you got from Eric it just doesnt get much better.

Congratulations and I hope your well mate.

Ian
galvanic1882

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great knife!!
texans123

Post by texans123 »

Great looking Latama!
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Is it just me or does that knife have some of the nicest lines I’ve seen ...
gorgeous knife Luke .. thanks for sharing

Mike
arlen

Post by arlen »

Educate me: what is "peek"?
Regards,
arlen
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Blade tip sticking out above the liners.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Sorry, I probably shoulda picked out a darker towel to make this issue easier to see... my bad.

Knife will probably spend the rest of its life open in a display case, so not a huge deal. In my view far more acceptable than a peeking modern knife.