Can't get pics to post need help

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Swinguardsamuri

Can't get pics to post need help

Post by Swinguardsamuri »

Every time I try to add a pic from phone it says file to large how do I get a pic loaded up I'm new on here sorry for my ignorance on the workings of this site..
sammy the blade

Re: Can't get pics to post need help

Post by sammy the blade »

You have to shrink them somehow.
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Try this: Go to the bottom of this page and click the RED post reply button. Under that, you will see something like add files/attachments. Click that and it will open your pics. Select and place “in line”. Hope this helps.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Modern phones take pictures in very high resolution, like 4000 pixels which means 4000 X 4000 X 256 colors (maybe) X 64 brightness. This makes for a huge file. If you have a 23" approximate monitor with 1000 lines vertically (like HD TV) the number of pixels is 1/16 as many as your phone is recording (1/4 X 4000 x 1/4 X 4000 X 256 X 64.) So you can have a much smaller file and still be very sharp. You either have to change the phone settings to something lower, or use a program like Picasa or Photoshop to reduce the file size. You are not losing image or perceivable sharpness, just making a smaller file. Most forums allow approximately 4 images to be attached and a maximum total file size. On this forum, if you send a big image, it sizes it to fit the screen, but the text has to shrink as well. So it becomes unreadable and pressed to the left margin. I find that if I edit my pictures to 1000 pixels wide, I can send lots of sharp images and still have readable text.

Most forums encourage you to "attach" pictures, which means the images reside on the same server as all the forum text and they are not subject to changes like Photobucket pulled in holding everyone's pictures hostage. However, when you attach the picture you upload to the forum server, when someone looks at the picture, they download it. This means whatever the file size, it has to be transmitted and this is all subject to the user's internet speed. If you repost on another forum, you have to have the picture on your computer and reattach (do the upload again). If you use a photo server (I use imgbox) then you upload once. To post the picture you just put the photo URL in the post. Copy the post to another forum, and the picture links still work. Additionally, the photo server does a better job than the forum server in posting your pictures - typically they have better equipment and faster speeds for images. There is no limit to linked pictures (you can have more than 4) and they can be interspersed with the text or shifted about by moving the links. If someone quotes your post then can select individual photos. If they are attached, then they have to copy the photos to their own computer and do the whole thing again.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."