Stag Button Open/Close

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Stag Button Open/Close

Post by JulesVane »

Stag has never exactly been my favorite scale material, but I do find it more appealing as it ages. This piece is simply stamped ROSTFREI and measures 7.75". A great snap, tight lock up. ....Not sure of it's age....

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sammy the blade

Re: Stag Button Open/Close

Post by sammy the blade »

I don't really like stag either but that looks nice!
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

sammy the blade wrote:I don't really like stag either but that looks nice!
Thank you Sammy. I'm wondering how long before Stag shows such age. I'm "thinking" this piece was produced some time in the 1960's (not sure).

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

All the stag I've had has been overly shaved and mismatched but yours looks great. The best stag I've seen is immatation.
2024 candidate for president
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That's a great knife. I always heard they were from the 60s. I have a 7.75" stag one that looks almost identical but there is a 4 under Rostfrei.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote:That's a great knife. I always heard they were from the 60s. I have a 7.75" stag one that looks almost identical but there is a 4 under Rostfrei.
Thanks Jeremy! Do these BO/BC's fall under the transitional category?

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

No. The true Transitionals are just the swivel-bolsters made for a short time after the picklocks and before the modern kind of stilettos.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote:No. The true Transitionals are just the swivel-bolsters made for a short time after the picklocks and before the modern kind of stilettos.
Thanks Jeremy. I could very well be misinterpreting this reading (page 83 of Switchblades of Italy). Swivel bolster being the most significant, but BO/BC "seems" to be included. (Reading comprehension not my strongest point lol):

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Hmm...

That is true that the Bo/cs were made at that time and have the general quality of the old picklocks. I guess they would technically be transitionals. Though, every description I've seen of transitionals is that of the swivel-bolsters.

I don't know what to think. What does everyone else think of the matter?
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Firstly Great looking knife Chris. 8)
Beautiful Stag on that one..and I love the button open close mechanisms.
Congrats mate.

I believe the Patent dates on these BO/BC knives were 1961 -1963 and the earliest types had 2 sear locking pins and 2 piece slip in springs.

As for it being a "Transitional "I always understood that to mean:

A knife with the old Picklock traits and sometimes utilising old Picklock parts .that has nickle silver fully lined bolsters ,that use the swivel opening mechanism for blade release.
Mid mounted nickle silver button, Short throw nickle safety
Swedge/bayonet (rarer) blade.
D stamped thicker brass liners
Thicker Two piece slip in spring .
Nicely fitted scales and good fat build quality

I thought the word" transitional "was the transitioning of" Picklocks" to the modern swivel bolster opening system ,but if these BOBC were made in 1961 it puts them in timescale , range and build quality of the early transitionals and uses a different way of unlocking the blade to the picklocks.

I would like to know the BOBC being Transitional aswell as I have a couple, and I asked this question sometime back myself.
I always like a refresher course in "transitional"switchblades , as many peopke have been caught out by knives purporting to be them and it can get confusing .

I noticed in SOI it says production technology stepped back to the BOBC so could this have been utilised earlier on knives ....I am just guessing and await the switchblade gurus :)

I will watch this post to learn myself .

Hope everybody here is well.

gravknife
(Still in switchblade cold Turkey hell)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

BO/BC knives are not "transitional" knives. What did they transition to or from?
They may have been made during the same time period, but that has nothing to do with it.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
galvanic1882

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great looking knife!
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Sweet knife! Looks like it's in excellent unused condition with well-matched, nicely-aged scales. Stag doesn't seem to get much love in these parts, but as a longtime slipjoint collector, I've always had a soft spot for it. Now that I think about it, aside from rarities like ivory and tortoise shell, stag is probably the most popular premium cover material in the slipjoint community.
galvanic1882

Post by galvanic1882 »

Stag looks great on that knife. I'm not a stag fan on Italians but the one looks good