8" Coricama

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

8" Coricama

Post by JulesVane »

My 1st, my 1 and only...Seems in truly great shape. I'm told early 1950's. Dark (Black) Horn. No steel liners or red dot, but I love it just the same!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JimBrown257

Re: 8" Coricama

Post by JimBrown257 »

Cool knife. You're really starting to put a respectable collection together.

Is the backspring pin steel?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote:Cool knife. You're really starting to put a respectable collection together.

Is the backspring pin steel?
lol...Thanks Jeremy! Yes, I noticed that pin is different than the others that are brass. Any reason why?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Pretty knife! Looks new as the day it was born. Nice find.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Corvus wrote:Pretty knife! Looks new as the day it was born. Nice find.
Thanks Rick. I know I've said it before, but one thing I sure love about this hobby is seeing these pieces loved and cared for, for so long.

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The steel backspring pin is not correct. The knife has been reworked.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

JulesVane wrote:that pin is different than the others that are brass. Any reason why?
Probably a replacement. I think the bottom bolster should be brass too. The brass pin on top on this knife is historically accurate, though.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote:The steel backspring pin is not correct. The knife has been reworked.
Wow. Once again, sold to me as original.

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote:
JulesVane wrote:that pin is different than the others that are brass. Any reason why?
Probably a replacement. I think the bottom bolster should be brass too. The brass pin on top on this knife is historically accurate, though.
The entire bottom bolsters should be brass??? Or, you mean the pin?

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Any knife that old that looks that new has most likely been cleaned. You see how the backspring looks inside the handle above the kickspring? The outside of the backspring and the kickspring would look like that if they had never been cleaned. If it was just cleaned, a lot of people will still refer to that as "original" even though that is misleading. Or the seller likely didn't know. It's an old knife that has probably had a number of owners.

And I mean the bottom pin should be brass. At least, I think it should. Most of the ones like that have a brass pin on the bottom.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yes- all the pins should be brass on the Coricama/IMCO/Etc. knives.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Well, can't blame you guys for givin' it to me straight. Live and learn, and that's what we are here for. To learn. Thanks guys!

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Ask first, next time.
DonC

Post by DonC »

If it's a Coricama it can't be all bad. Nice looking knife even if it's been cleaned.
DonC
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Honestly I'd rather have an older knife that needed some TLC and got it, than an older knife that needed it and didn't. Love this knife man very jealous of you!
Knee-deep in the hoopla...