11" AGA Campolin Ebony Frosolone Picklock

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
barshoo

11" AGA Campolin Ebony Frosolone Picklock

Post by barshoo »

I am happy to show you this new AGA Campolin 11" Frosolone Picklock in Ebony! It has a 4mm SS Backspring and 1.2mm Brass Liners & pins, 440C Stainless Steel mirror-polished, sharpened bayo blade, NS Bolster, and Ebony wood scales. It's a rocket-firing knife with a sweet-sounding lock-up! Enjoy the pictures! :D

I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
Corvus

Re: 11" AGA Campolin Ebony Frosolone Picklock

Post by Corvus »

Beautiful, elegant-looking knife. Looks flawless, too.

I recently picked up a 10" version and man, these things have some serious snap. I was trying out that reverse-grip opening style and cleverly positioned my thumb just in front of the (as you pointed out, 'sharp') tip with predictable results. :oops:
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

Corvus wrote:Beautiful, elegant-looking knife. Looks flawless, too.

I recently picked up a 10" version and man, these things have some serious snap. I was trying out that reverse-grip opening style and cleverly positioned my thumb just in front of the (as you pointed out, 'sharp') tip with predictable results. :oops:
Yes it IS, and I could not be happier!! And yes, mine is VERY sharp!! (That is the FIRST thing that I check...) So yours drew "first blood"??! I'm really sorry about that, Corvus. By the way, what's your name?
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Funny thing is, I've never thought of these classic Italians as 'real' knives, since they're made specifically for collectors. That little cut made me rethink that perception and give them the respect they deserve.

I'm Rick. Pleased to meet ya, Barb.
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

Mighty pleased to meet YOU, Rick!! You are partially right about AGA Campolin...I have a couple 13 inch Swinguards that they made, and they are not sharpened AT ALL!!
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

barshoo wrote:...I have a couple 13 inch Swinguards that they made, and they are not sharpened AT ALL!!
Maybe not, but I bet they're pointy enough for their once-upon-a-time intended task. I have a Burn Italian-style OTF that doesn't even have a secondary edge bevel. You'd be hard-pressed to use it as a letter opener, but like your Swingguards, the point is all business.
omega

Post by omega »

That a gorgeous knife, Barb. And beautifully photographed too!

I'm really liking just about every Campolin knife I've seen in recent years. I had to have one of everything in their 23 and 28cm Maltese line. Talk about heavy and overbuilt! The Brazilian horn they've been using is really pretty as well.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Really nice piece Barb! The Frosolone style took a while to grow on me, but it sure did! Nice!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

It takes some getting used to, firing the darn thang...because if the low-set button!! But it's such a beauty, that I just can't hold a grudge against her... :shock:
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

barshoo wrote:It takes some getting used to, firing the darn thang...because if the low-set button!! But it's such a beauty, that I just can't hold a grudge against her... :shock:
Dave S's older post, shows us how we've been holding this style "upside-down"... viewtopic.php?p=256482#p256482

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

JulesVane wrote:
barshoo wrote:It takes some getting used to, firing the darn thang...because if the low-set button!! But it's such a beauty, that I just can't hold a grudge against her... :shock:
Dave S's older post, shows us how we've been holding this style "upside-down"... viewtopic.php?p=256482#p256482
Very INTERESTING!! I have her tucked away now in a velveteen-lined case, but when I take her out, I will put this technique to the test...THANKS Chris!!! As a side-note, I really like the design of the picklock tab!
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

barshoo wrote: I will put this technique to the test...
Like I said...watch your thumb (or any other protuberance), Barb. :oops: