Walt's Latama 9"

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
thom

Walt's Latama 9"

Post by thom »

Here are the Walt's Latama' s I received a few days ago. French Tip, Ram's Horn and of course Brazilian Horn. I really like them all, well made, they come with cool display boxes. I really like the French Tip, as you can tell, backs look as good as fronts.

Thom

JulesVane

Re: Walt's Latama 9"

Post by JulesVane »

All beauties Thom! I like that French Tip Horn also. Walt sure went the extra mile with the nice cases too. Sweet additions to your super Latama collection!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
texans123

Post by texans123 »

Those are excellent! Are these from a new 2018 run of 9"?
thom

Post by thom »

Thx JV and tex, and yes they are the 2018. I called Walt and he emailed me pics of what was available. That's what I like about Walt, you get to pick the scales you like.
JayAK80

Post by JayAK80 »

Thom, those are beauties! Great selection on the scales. Those boxes are icing on the cake!
DonC

Post by DonC »

Good looking set and a nice looking cross section of scale material.
DonC
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

cool auto',Walt is the Man!
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Very nice!

The three I got from this run came without display boxes, but rather dark satin drawstring bags, perhaps this was due to how early on I bought them (June) or the generous wholesale discount Walt gave me. One thing that I really did appreciate was that he included a syringe-type vial of quick-release oil; not sure if this is something he throws in with every order or if I got lucky, but either way this was very cool of him!

Now, I generally am a little hesitant to post pictures of recent acquisitions since my crappy cameras don't come close to doing the pieces or their wonderful sellers much justice (yes that's you Bernie and Eric :wink: ) but there's one small issue I've encountered with these pieces that I felt like bringing up now that other buyers of pieces from this particular run are beginning to pop up...

I noticed that the 9'' Walt's I just bought really don't sit very deep... one of them is on the verge of peeking... modern Latama's are known for their exceptional quality control so I guess this sort of surprised me. As these are my first Walt's Latamas, I find myself asking "is this normal?" I imagine there's not much tweaking I can do to really fix this problem and my best bet is to store them open (which, since they were destined for a display case anyway, is not a real inconvenience truth be told). But the fact that the inside grind of the blade is visible from the side when the knife is closed is a bit troubling to me... as is my ability to poke myself with the blade when the knife is shut.

Take a look at these pics and let me know what you guys think and if this seems typical. I do realize It's a nitpicky thing to bring up, but I feel this is more justifyable as the pricetag rises... these aren't $75 production 'lettos after all...

As stated earlier in this thread, Walt is good enough to let people hand-pick their knives, and these appeared to sit the deepest in the group of pics he emailed to me so I won't be returning the knives I hand-picked myself, but I guess this is part of the lasting first impression I'm getting from what is the "Cadillac of modern stilettos".
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Luke,those knives should not peek like that. It is a flaw. If you were to sell them at some future date, and such things have been known to happen as interests and /or circumstances change, this would certainly hurt the value. You should contact Walt about this. He should be made aware that QC is not as tight as one would wish. Good luck.

Edited to reflect that all Luke's knives have a slight peek, some more than others. I thought it was only one, but this is wholly unacceptable for a knife at this level.

I would be interested in what Walt has to say.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

After all is said and done, those 9" Latamas are spectacular looking pieces.
thom

Post by thom »

They are beauties. Love the scales on all three. Tough decision, send them back for no peeking or keep the beautiful scales???
Thom
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Beautiful knives but it's a shame that they don't set a little deeper. Guess you would have to have them custom built to get perfection.
2024 candidate for president
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

natcherly wrote:Luke,those knives should not peek like that. It is a flaw. If you were to sell them at some future date, and such things have been known to happen as interests and /or circumstances change, this would certainly hurt the value. You should contact Walt about this. He should be made aware that QC is not as tight as one would wish. Good luck.

Edited to reflect that all Luke's knives have a slight peek, some more than others. I thought it was only one, but this is wholly unacceptable for a knife at this level.

I would be interested in what Walt has to say.
Thanks for the input, I decided to send him an email about it with the same pictures attached; not quite sure what to expect, but I'll keep you guys posted. Hope he doesn't think I'm being too nitpicky, but I did spend more than a paycheck on these.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Gorinico405

Post by Gorinico405 »

Hello, first time poster with first real stiletto just received from Walt. Very solid, fires hard and locks tight. I could see where the blade can sit a little deeper. Regardless..im hooked and want more.
thom

Post by thom »

That is a nice looking Ram's horn. That one was not included in the ones I had to pick from, or I would have chosen it. Walt sells a great knife, you need to get an 11"er while he still has them.
Thom