Walt's 23cm Picture Thread

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Corvus

Walt's 23cm Picture Thread

Post by Corvus »

How about a general pic and discussion thread for the Latama Walt's Classic 23cm? These are currently available at PVK and directly from Walt, and should be showing up on the Latama site any day now.

Post 'em when ya get 'em, and feel free to re-post your pics from the previous Buy & Sell thread.

With an AGA 25cm brother-from-another-mother for scale.
Last edited by Corvus on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JulesVane

Re: Walt's 23cm Picture Thread

Post by JulesVane »

Lovely, Beautiful and Gorgeous! Really super sweet pieces!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JayAK80

Post by JayAK80 »

Nice grab! They look great.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...Can't compare to that great photography Corvus, but here goes...

2018 9" (23cm) Brazilian and Rams...

2010 9" (23cm) Limited Editions- Brazilian Horn...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Beautiful knives, Chris.Thanks for the pics.

Do you see much, if any, variation in the quality of fit and finish between '10 and '18? I have a few 28cm Walt's from '16 and '17 and these 23cms seem on par with those, if not a tiny bit better overall, but I have no experience with their older knives.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I placed them side by side and they appear identical. The longer/harder I look for differences, the more my eyes can deceive me on the tiniest variations in thickness. I believe Walt has advertised the blades as "new half grinds", but must be the "new" was from years ago new. All very fine pieces. Sure wish I could take a better picture lol. Much nicer in real life.

Corvus

Post by Corvus »

They certainly appear to have kept the quality consistent over the years. The way the Maniago craftsmen manage to dial-in these things and bring order out of relative chaos never ceases to amaze me. :o
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Availability: Walt had mentioned last year that the 9" would be available in April/May of 2018. Of course, that projected date came and left. It wasn't until I just by chance, saw a few become available on PVK, that I even knew they were. I wrote Walt about it and he mentioned that he was short handed getting them online, but he finally had help and were to be up last week. He sent me pictures of the Brazilian & Rams that I expressed interest in. They were VERY limited in numbers. He only showed me a total of 6 Rams. Of those, only 4 were available. I bought the one pictured leaving 3. Our friend Thom said he bought 1, leaving only 2. The Brazilian Horn, he only showed a few more of. Can it possibly be that, even as delayed as they are appearing available, that he only has/had such a limited amount? I'm aware that he sells to other online shops as well. But, such a limited amount? I would think, by this late date of projected availability, he would have more. I guess we will see when he gets them up on his site.

Corvus

Post by Corvus »

From what I can tell, they're not exactly flying off the shelves at PVK, which isn't too surprising given the niche market and comparatively steep price. Still, in light of the limited availability, I thought we'd see a little more collector enthusiasm.

I received one that's a bit of a dud. The blade over-travels quite a bit, giving the knife a glaring reverse banana curve, the handle itself curves to the side, and the lockup has a lotta slop. OTOH, the other one I received just might have the best alignment and fit in my small-but-growing Italian knife collection. It's straight as an arrow all around and locks up tight in every direction. If they were all like that, I'd be snapping them up.

That's my biggest gripe with these classic Italian knives: the hit-and-miss QC, especially at Latama's price point, makes purchasing them sight unseen a real crap shoot. I know better than to expect the consistent level of fit found on modern factory knives these days, but I do expect each knife to be relatively straight and tight. Alas, no such luck.
thom

Post by thom »

Sent PM. Try to return the problem one. I bought 3 from Walt and all are perfect after oiling.
Thom
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

thom wrote:Sent PM. Try to return the problem one. I bought 3 from Walt and all are perfect after oiling.
Thom
Thanks, Thom. PM replied. I did return the problem knife with no...problems :). PVK's customer service was excellent, as was Walt's on a different occasion.
thom

Post by thom »

Glad you are happy. they are too expensive not to be returnable.
JV, love that bottom one. wow!!